Screen in direct sunlight

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jaysquires, Apr 26, 2015.

1. jaysquires macrumors newbie

The screen doesn't come on when in direct sunlight, have to move it to shade to work. Anyone else noticed this? 42mm space grey sport

2. greatcapp macrumors newbie

No idea yet. I live in the midlands, so rarely see the sun. :(

3. My Name is URL macrumors 6502

Comes on for me. It's glorious today and been fine.

4. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

5. jaysquires thread starter macrumors newbie

Great looks like mine is faulty. What the best thing to do call apple or go down the shop???

6. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

there are 2 higher settings you an set brightness to inside the actual watch settings app. (almost positive it is in the watch, but if you can see it in watch settings just look in the iPhone app for brightness)

send me some vote up love if this helps

7. jaysquires thread starter macrumors newbie

It's on the brightest setting. Screen wont come on at all untill moved into shade

8. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

Only other thing I can think of is that up may not be fulling raising it and turning to view?

Sometimes on the pebble you had to give it a little hard jolt (shake) and it would come on.

9. jaysquires thread starter macrumors newbie

Just done a restore, display is still not working in the sunlight

10. Zxxv macrumors 68040

sounds like a fault because apple is in california so all designed to work in the sun. Also most likely why iPhone hasn't got water proofing by now.

11. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

No offence, but did you wear sunglasses?

I've seen someone think that their ipad was broken, but in fact just because the strong sunlight + the sunglasses make he can't see anything on the screen.

12. wdfly macrumors regular

i can attest to this, polarized sunglasses make my iPad appear to be off when in portrait orientation but is fine in landscape.

13. jaysquires thread starter macrumors newbie

No don't wear sunglasses. If i wake the watch whilst in shade and move into the sun it is fine but it will not wake whilst in direct sunlight either by lifting or pressing buttons

14. BradWould macrumors 6502

BradWould

I wouldn't know. I've been inside for 2 days playing with my watch. Don't touch it. It's mine!!!

15. 3square, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015

3square macrumors regular

I'm actually getting the same exact thing your describing. Screen won't come on in direct sunlight.
    It seems like it's having a difficult time adjusting the display to accommodate the direct sunlight. It looks like the screen slowly brighten instead of on

you can see this, recorded it to show you guys. *sorry for the vertical video*
    https://youtu.be/iYYyjea4UDo

16. 3square macrumors regular

talked to apple support via chat. they even look at the video, and pretty surprise by that.
    they said to power cycle it, and do a hard reset (pressing the crown and side button). it's night time right now for me, will let you know tomorrow.

although the watch did seem more responsive after the hard reset just now.

17. sterl320 macrumors 6502

Works fine for me. I live in florida, and I ride my bike on the highway, but I can see the screen very clearly.

18. 3square macrumors regular

update - after power cycle and a reset. problem is still there. Another user even did a software reset, still didn't work either.
    it seems like the screen does turn on, but without any "backlight" if that makes sense with AMOLED. Once after i moves the watch from sunlight into shade, then the backlight kicks in.

19. mariotr87 macrumors regular

Same problem here.

Would be interesting to see if other people are having the same issue - it looks like a SW problem.

20. 3square macrumors regular

trying to chat with apple support then…got disconnected? -_-
    right after the case got elevated to a senior support.

told me to do a full factory setting restore. didn't work either. they mentioned that if factory restore doesn't fix it, it could be hardware. have no idea how valid that is.

now my speculation is that it's not software, more of hardware…a bad batch that got through. if it's software, the factory reset would have fix that.
    also maybe if it's SW, it would have affected more people? seems like a pretty isolated case as of now.

21. mariotr87 macrumors regular

We'll see, it might get more widespread as more people get their watches delivered...The problem is also not that obvious, especially given that most people will not use it under direct sunlight, or will use the hand to block it.

That said, it might be hardware, of course...I'm a bit reluctant to request a replacement especially now that stock is pretty much nonexistent, but I'll be doing it just before the 2-week window runs out if we can't figure out the reason.

22. 3square macrumors regular

getting through and got the case elevated to engineers and senior support. will update you guys on this.

23. mariotr87 macrumors regular

thanks for that!