Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Calvin19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Boulder, Colorado USA
1.83GHZ MBP 15" 2gb ram.

Last month my HD died, replaced it on my own, a glitch or two, running fine now.

2 weeks ago the screen went dark, I hooked up a external screen, been working with that for the last week.

Just today I received in the mail my new inverter piece from ifixit.
put it in, not hard at all, but the screen is still dark. It still works on external screen fine, still can see the shadows on the notebook screen, what went wrong? any ideas?

is there a fuse?

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
Could be a number of things
(in order of least expensive to most expensive):
1. The inverter board you got was DOA. You can test with a multimeter.
2. The left I/O board where the inverter connects to is dead.
3. The LCD panel's backlight is shot.

Calvin19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Boulder, Colorado USA
ok...
great.
how do I test it?

and I assume I can also test the old one, and if the new one passes test, and old one fails test, I'm either not to good at this, or I have more than one problem, right?

this is my first mac, and I have had SOOO many problems with it. but i STILL freaking love it. I cannot lose it... so sad...

Jabberwocky246

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2008
I don't know if this will help at all, but I bought a (known) defective 2.16 Core Duo MBP off eBay that had a non-working backlight. Same as you, the first thing I tried was to replace the inverter. When that didn't work, I tried swapping out the entire screen assembly. Oh great, still no backlight.

At that point I was looking at a replacement logic board. With nothing to lose, I got a wild hair and re-soldered the connector for the backlight on the logic board.

Amazingly, the screen fired up and has worked fine for two weeks now! Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way, but so far so good.

Probably not your next step in diagnosing the problem, but you might want to keep it in mind.

Best of luck.

Calvin19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Boulder, Colorado USA
jabberwocky,
I took my mbp apart, and found that the wire from the board to the inverter was worn through, I guess I had used my mbp way too much. I replaced all wires in the harness, and it works fine now. even put the old inverted back in. good to go!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.