Screen inverter

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Garyagh999, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Garyagh999 macrumors newbie

Hi problem with the MacBook.
    When I open the case the screen disappears. On the Internet is it due to an inverter cable ? Any idea how much apple will charge me ?

Thanks for looking ? :):):):)

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Does it flicker if you move the hinge in various places? Or is it just off.

It it comes and goes at different angles, it's (usually) the inverter cable. If it's just off (or comes on briefly then goes off whatever the angle) it could be the cable, the inverter board, or even the LCD.

3. Garyagh999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.
    It comes on for a fraction of a second.
    Any idea how much for the cable if fitted by apple ?

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Tbh, that's more likely to be the LCD, but could be the board. It's unlikely to be the cable.

Excluding labour the cable is about £8, the inverter about £25 and the LCD about £150.

5. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Had the exact same problem with a macbook my dad had, I popped into the apple store today, worst news: the LCD had had it.

These were the same symptoms as you're having, do take it to apple if you're close to a store, as they said if it were the board or cable it would be 30quid or under.

I had a display from a old water damaged core duo mac (my dad was quite careless about 6 years ago..) and managed to put the inverter board from the newer one on the display and low and behold, it's all working now, so don't be too scared to get a display on eBay if you can find one cheap it looks daunting on iFixit, but its a fairly simple switch out if you have a 00phillips head screwdriver and some patience.