Screen is blinking

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 5Fathom5, Jul 15, 2010.

1. 5Fathom5 macrumors newbie

Can anyone please help? my screen keeps blinking on and off every 10 seconds or so and if I let it rest for a while it settles down but everything is missing from the screen except my screen saver photo.
    Its driving me crazy
    Thanks

2. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

We need more details on your computer and what you are doing when it happens to be able to help.

3. 5Fathom5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
    SMC Version: 1.27f1
    It seems as though it is trying to re-boot and If I am on the net for example it is hard to type stuff unless I continually click on the page to keep it "up front"
    Hope you understand my description and thanks for replying

4. moel macrumors 6502

Ok I think i've worked out what you mean...

Either you mean the screen is turning itself on and off every 10 seconds.

But what i suspect you mean is everything is shooshing on and off the screen every 10 seconds.

Next time it 'blinks' hit F11 if it comes back we know somehow that expose is being triggered.

So clearly something is activating your F11 key a lot. Alternative you can just turn off all the settings on expose in your system prefs.

5. 5Fathom5 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I have turned off expose, I think, just checked everything to - ? and re started. It still has the problem. What I have noticed is if I leave the computer on and it goes into what I believe to be energy saving mode (screen is black) then click on any key it doesnt "blink" anymore but no files appear on the screen only my screen saver. My "b" button is a bit dodgy but other than that it works fine, maybe another key is stuck? I tried pressing the f11 button but nothing happened.
    This thing is trying to make me suicidal. :mad:

6. moel macrumors 6502

Hello again!

I need to clear something up.

There is a distinction to be made between Screensaver, and Desktop Background.

A screensaver, is an animation or picture of some sort that appears when the computer has been left unattended for a few minutes.

A desktop background, is the picture that is always behind all your icons and windows.

Which is it?

7. 5Fathom5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a desktop background, a photo of mine, can you tell I'm a newb yet? or am I a nube, noob? :D

8. moel macrumors 6502

hmmm...sounds very odd, but is probably something completely and utterly obvious.

I'd take a trip to your local apple store and ask a 'genius'

Without video or pictures we don't really know whats happening here.