Screen is damaged... Or is it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nate047, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Nate047 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, new here and not a guy who works on computer hardware much... Please be kind.

A few weeks ago, my little cousin dropped my Macbook Pro onto a tile floor, awesome right? When I turned it on to check what would happen, it powers up fine, operates completely fine, but the screen is displaying a weird jagged color effect. See below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I'm wondering if the screen is actually damaged and needs to be replaced, or if perhaps the connecting pins have been jarred loose inside the case or something like that. Anyone seen this before? Anyone know how easy it is to open one of these guys up? It's a 15-inch Macbook Pro, mid 2012, not retina.

I got a quote for $700 plus labor to replace the screen... Hoping to avoid that if possible. The machine works completely fine with my external monitor, I'm using it right now in fact. I ran diagnostics and the internal drive is totally fine as well. It's JUST displaying weird. The case has a small ding on it too so Apple Care won't cover it...

Thanks for looking!

Nate

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

looks like a loose cable.

you can buy the lcd on screencountry.com for around 150$ and just use ifixit.com and replace it yourself.

good luck,

3. Nate047 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks! I'll try the cable first.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Does your home insurance cover accidental damage?

5. Nate047 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good news! One of the connections was loose, I opened up the case and unplugged/replugged all the display cables and now it's like it never happened.

Thanks for the quick fix!

6. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

Awesome. Always love to hear good news =)

7. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

8. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

make sure you take the lcd cable back down , that stops it from separating in the future.