screen is dark after drop

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lankykarkks, Nov 19, 2009.

1. lankykarkks macrumors newbie

i dropped my macbook and the screen is VERY dark but can see some stuff if i hold a flashlight to it. it starts up fine.
    should i take it to the genius bar or would :apple: charge me too much to service it?
    help would be very appreciated.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Looks like the backlight is broken... I'm not sure how much $$$ these cost to replace, it depends if its LED or not... Take it in and say you think the backlight has gone, then ask how much it would be for a new one. If they have to replace the whole screen it could be up to $1500:eek:

3. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Not true at all.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

When a screen got cracked in a MacBook at my school it cost $1500 NZD for the whole screen to be replaced.

5. fluffyx macrumors 6502

The store should quote you the cost of an inverter. The prices at a USA Apple Store are:
    • $135 labor
    • $35 for the display inverter
    adding up to $170 + tax.

If they quote you a $280 cost, they don't want to do the repair in-store because it can be considered a somewhat gnarly repair. If they quote this amount, let them know that you'd rather them do the repair "in-store".

In all truth, if it happened right after you dropped the computer, it's likely just a loose cable. But the Apple Store will want to replace the inverter, which I suppose isn't a terrible deal.