Screen is dead but access possible, how to fix?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cfhjag, Apr 25, 2013.

1. cfhjag, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013

cfhjag macrumors member

Hello,

I've got an old Macbook Pro, 2008 I think. Recently I got it to work from a few years of laying in a box but a few days ago the screen went black again. Last time I got it to work I had the same issue but I simply just kept on opening and closing it randomly and then magically it worked :)

I've tried to connect an external screen but nothing happens. Luckily I hooked it up with iTeleport and other screen sharing apps so I can still access the computer with no problems.

I want to use it as a media center however, so using the video out is necessary. What could be wrong? The graphics card? Worth trying to replace it?

Thanks for your help!
    H

Update: I took a photo of the graphics about section (since it didn't allow me to take a screen shot) seems a bit strange.. ?

[​IMG]

2. simsaladimbamba

It is a white MacBook instead of a grey/aluminium MacBook Pro, isn't it?
    Or does it really say "MacBook Pro" printed on the bezel of the display?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tried a PRAM/NVRAM reset yet? Tried different Mini DVI to DV or VGA or HDMI adapters yet?

3. cfhjag thread starter macrumors member

It's the aluminium one, 15". I've tried pretty much everything when it comes to holding down keys on startup etc :)

4. simsaladimbamba

Then from what is the screenshot? Do you by any chance use a MacBook to do so? I just ask, as no MBP ever (maybe prototypes though) was publicly released using that X3100 integrated graphics processor (IGP).

If it is the early 2008 MBP though, it should list the GeForce 8600M GT as GPU.

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

5. cfhjag thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'm not sure about the year I got it. It says in the about "MacBook Pro 3.1" 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo but I can't find an exact year anywhere.

The "screenshot" is simply a photo with my iPhone :)

6. simsaladimbamba

But what confuses me, is that it should not say what you show us on a MacBook Pro, the X3100 was only used in those white MacBooks.

Anyway, the MacBook Pro 3,1 used that GeForce 8600M GT, which was prone to fail (thus the link I provided), but since it is out of service period, you probably cannot fix it.
    Strangely I just got the idea of a USB to VGA or DVI adapter, but am not sure, it does not use the GPU, and even if not, it would probably not show the main screen.

PS: This is your model: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...k-pro-core-2-duo-2.2-15-santa-rosa-specs.html

7. cfhjag thread starter macrumors member

Seems like a big graphic card fail right?

8. simsaladimbamba

It seems. Just to be sure, sorry, am still a bit flabbergasted, does the same window (System Profiler) showing you the X3100 as GPU also show you the "MacBookPro3,1" moniker?

9. cfhjag, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013

cfhjag thread starter macrumors member

10. cfhjag thread starter macrumors member

So it seems like my dear Macbook Pro has finally given up. I got it to work properly for a about a month or so but then the screen went black again. So question is, can I rebuild it into a new, working computer somehow? To me it seems like it's a graphic card/motherboard failure so is there anything I can do to use the other parts somehow? Maybe build my own little raspberry or similar :)