Screen Is Going Bad

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Foap, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Foap macrumors newbie

I guess that's what this is, but can it be fixed? My screen has many small lines going horizontal across the screen. It is slowly getting worse, but it gets better if hold the screen forward a bit. Letting go lets the screen go back a little (Perfectly normal) but then the problem starts up.

Think it might just be time to go get a 15" Pro. I want to avoid that though.

2. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

Well you could either get the pro or replace the screen for several hundred dollars.

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Several hundred dollars? The most pricey repair I offer is a MacBook Air LCD and it's not even $200...

What model of Mac is it? It's likely a video cable or GPU, I can diagnose both. Check my link below.

4. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

Ok, i'm sorry $100-$200. I'm not an expert in how much computer parts cost but at least one came on.

5. Foap thread starter macrumors newbie

:confused: Not totally sure. It's a white MacBook from 08. Seems like some connector isn't connecting when the screen tilts back. My moving it connects it again.

Thanks for the help!

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Since last week, I've repair three other MacBooks with similar characteristics.

Tilting them a certain way would result in changing the degree of the issue.

For two I fixed, it was a bad inverter cable causing the screen to go black.

This sounds like a display cable, which is a pretty straight-forward repair.

You may find guides online to show you how to replace it yourself, but I highly recommend against it if you have no experience opening laptops. You could very quickly turn a bad cable into a bad motherboard, which is no fun at all.

If you don't find a solution, just contact me via my blog to set up a repair.

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I just got another bad MacBook in.

As it turned out, all four had almost similar symptoms but every possible different problem.

1. Bad inverter cable and bad backlight.
    2. Bad Inverter cable
    3. Bad Display
    4. Bad Inverter

Symptoms of each:

1. No Backlight
    2. No Backlight but it does flash when you move the display
    3. Lines across the display that move when pressing on or thumping the display panel
    4. Light is on at startup, shuts off after several minutes.

Hope that helps!

8. Foap thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm afraid it's 3. Not saying I want it fixed, I may end up just buying a new Mac. It's getting to be about that time anyways. But how much does this usually run to get repaired? I'm wondering if it's really worth it when this MacBook has plastic coming off the front edges and is just getting old in general.

By the way, it's gotten worse. It now always has this lines, and occasionally gets reeeeally bad. :( Poor old Mac.

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

If it is the display, it's $100 +shipping and handling.

If it is a cable, it could be as high as $40 +shipping and handling.

10. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann