Screen Issue - I'm I covered?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MattGarner, Oct 14, 2016.

1. MattGarner macrumors regular

Hi all,

This morning my MacBook Pro (13inch retina, mid 2014) has decided it doesn't want to play ball. I turned it on, was working all fine. Started watching a youtube video and the screen went a bit fuzzy like little artifacts on the screen. So I unplugged the external monitor, problem still there. So I shut down the Macbook.

Turned it back on, nothing whatsoever. You can see the screen "on" in a way but its all pitch black. I tried resetting the PRAM and SMC but no luck with the screen.

It does seem to be more of screen issue or maybe something that controls the screen. As I can use the macbook on an external display if i close the lid during boot up.

I've had a look at my emails and it was bought on the 12th Dec 2014 - So I'm around 2 months or so from it being 2 years. I should be covered under consumer law in the UK right? Or I'm I expected to pay does anyone know much it's going to be.

2. Barrierfreeman macrumors regular

Barrierfreeman

Does that ever work?

Anyway, only one way to find out. Hopefully you have an Apple store nearby.

3. MattGarner thread starter macrumors regular

Actually no idea. I tried everything that was suggested even by the guys on the phone at Apple. No luck

Somehow though the screen has decided to work again like an hour later.

4. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

If you have an Apple Store nearby it wouldn't hurt to make a genius bar appointment to get it checked out. If there is a problem you probably have a good chance of getting a free repair under consumer rights. I have a mid 2014 rMBP and the trackpad stopped working just over a week ago. Well out of warranty and I didn't buy Applecare. Took it in to the Apple Store and after the member of staff had confirmed the fault I was told the repair cost was going to be covered because I'd bought the laptop from Apple. The repair cost would have been nearly £400 if I'd had to pay for it.

I was told that it's done on a case by case basis though.