Screen issues with brand new MPB 2017 (no TB)

dante959

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
I got my Mac around 48h ago, and within 24h of the machine leaving the box, I've noticed a strange problem with the frame surrounding the screen (specifically the part of the frame with the words 'MacBook Pro' on it). There is a scratch of some sort on it. I initially thought that it was strange lighting but I've looked at it from different angles in different rooms, and there definitely is something there. Has anyone seen one like this before? Image of the defect is attached.

This is really bugging me, considering that the computer is brand new and that I take very good care of my tech. I know that this is fairly minor, but I didn't pay £1.5K for a laptop only to have it damaged right out of the box. Would Apple be able to help if I took it back to the Apple Store?

(On top of this, the computer has issues with 'static' appearing all over the screen after waking from sleep, but I've read that this might be a software rather than hardware issue?)

Attachments

Reactions: princ2

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Hard to say if it's a scratch. Could also be a small line of pixels that stay lighted. I would take it back to your local Apple Store and have them exchange it for a new one. You have two weeks to return it - no questions asked.

dante959

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Thank you @chscag , I'll go ahead and do that! Given that I'm currently in the middle of exams, do you think I'm ok to take it back halfway through next week (so just under a week after purchase)? And do you need a Genius appointment or do you just take it back and grab someone on the spot in a situation like this?

This is my first Mac, so I'm sorry if I sound really clueless :D

Reactions: princ2

DeanPSN

macrumors regular
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
@chscag
How can it be a "line of pixels turned on"?
The MBP LCD is LED backlit, not OLED (On which each individual pixels lights up), so that's out of question.
Looks to me like a surface scratch on the plastic.

OP: Try to clean it with a moist (not wet) q tip.

Reactions: chabig and princ2

dante959

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
@DeanPSN I think you're right in saying it must be a scratch because I tried to gently wipe it away with no luck. I used a piece of microfibre cloth with barely any moisture on it and it's still there. It does seem to be on the frame going under the screen rather than the screen itself so at least that's something. Would it still be worth taking it back to Apple though? I've been saving for this thing for ages so it's honestly pretty upsetting that it came with a defect (I don't care how small :().

DeanPSN

macrumors regular
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
@DeanPSN I think you're right in saying it must be a scratch because I tried to gently wipe it away with no luck. I used a piece of microfibre cloth with barely any moisture on it and it's still there. It does seem to be on the frame going under the screen rather than the screen itself so at least that's something. Would it still be worth taking it back to Apple though? I've been saving for this thing for ages so it's honestly pretty upsetting that it came with a defect (I don't care how small :().
Of course, you paid for a premium product that shouldn't have any defects.
You can return it within 14 days with no questions asked, and then get a new one.

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
In any event, take it back. Doesn't matter if it's a scratch or some other anomaly. And yes, you can wait another week but don't go past the "no questions" asked limit of two weeks.

dante959

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Thanks all, back to the Apple Store next week it is. Would I need to make a Genius appointment or can I just walk in and grab a member of staff? I'm thinking the latter as I live in a big city so getting an appointment would probably take ages.

IngerMan

macrumors 68000
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I would call apple support and explain the issue. They might send you a new one out and you can return the current one after you get the new one. They can be very accommodating.

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Thanks all, back to the Apple Store next week it is. Would I need to make a Genius appointment or can I just walk in and grab a member of staff? I'm thinking the latter as I live in a big city so getting an appointment would probably take ages.
You don't need to make a genius appointment to return an item as long as it's within the no questions asked 2 week period. Just walk in with your original receipt and the item, grab hold of one of the salespersons and initiate the return.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.