Screen issues with mid-2011 model

Discussion in 'iMac' started by andsko, Nov 2, 2011.

1. andsko macrumors newbie

In august I purchased a new 27" iMac from Apple.no, and I've had nothing but trouble with it. Setting it up to Time Capsule has been a nightmare; It continuously lose contact with it and when it reappears I'm told the backups are not valid and that I have to do it all over again from scratch (this happens sometimes once or twice a day or a couple of times a week).

I've been in contact with Apple several times to fix it, but no luck. What eventually happened is that it also screwed up my internet-connection, making it really really slow. Apple suggested that was my internet-provider's fault, but I have a 6 year old Microsoft PC that works flawlessly on the same wireless network.

Off and on the internet seems to be better or worse (worse 80% of the time), I've turned off Time Machine so I don't have to deal with that problem.

Now for the main problem: And ever from the start I've had issues with the screen. It's hard for me to describe with words so I'll do so with images and a video.

[​IMG]
    Look at the top, left corner, the Apple-icon is gone.

[​IMG]
    Look at how the top menu reacts.

[​IMG]
    Look at the doc. It's solid grey (not transparent), it's very pixelated (especially the edges),
    the light underneath the active apps are gone and there are grey "boxes"/areas around the downloads-folder and trash-idon. The reflections underneath LaunchPad is messed up.

This can appear when the iMac has been on for a couple of hours and I've only used for easy tasks, like internet-surfing and checking my mail. It goes into sleep-mode and when it starts back up it's like this. But it also happens after I've watched YouTube-videos and videos, DVD's.

I've emailed technicians at Apple (the ones I've spoken to regarding the TimeCapsule and AirPort issues) and their costumer care department (who've I also spoken to on the phone) but none of them will address the issue. It's been to service once but they couldn't find anything wrong with it (??).

This has been going on since I purchased it three months ago, and lately it's gotten worse and worse. This is how it reacts most of the time when I try to play a video: View My Video on TinyPic.com

Ive started to backup all my data and when I drag a file from one window to another the screen flickers rapidly.

Any idea what it might be? :(

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

This is a GPU issue most likely, not a screen one.

Also, your pictures are absolutely tiny. This makes it difficult to see what problems you're referring to.

I'd try and make them larger so people can get a better idea.

If you send these pictures to AppleCare, it's highly likely that they will exchange your iMac. Particularly, if as you've said, it's had countless other problems.

3. andsko thread starter macrumors newbie

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

You've probably embedded the thumbnails.

Much better size on the link.

I'd recommend sending these images to AppleCare so they can deal with it, it's not anything you can fix on your own.

5. andsko thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

I shall hand it in for service within the week. Le sigh, can't believe this happens to a brand new, 3 month old iMac...