Screen issues with UK week 38 touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by UKmacman, Oct 4, 2007.

1. UKmacman macrumors regular

This is my first post so please don't all shoot me down at once with my comments! I think the forums are great and a brillaint way to exchange information. However they also drive me a little mad. I'll explain.

I went into the Regent Street Apple shop yesterday as they were unpacking a new shipment the touch. I instantly bought a 16gig version and checked that it was week 38.

I got it home, updated the software to the latest version and loaded on some music and photos. So far so good. I also loaded on a couple of movies I had been preparing whilst waiting to get my hands on the machine in question.

Obviously I wanted to check that the screen was perfect and started to look at how the movies played. They were ok, in fact quite good but they were not excellent. The blacks held up pretty well but were a little off in places. However I found that the whites were much more of an issue for me. I checked the original footage on my ibook and it was not an issue (even when the dimensions were bigger than the ipod). I was not happy - but was I just being paranoid.

I decided to convert the same movie again this time using visualhub (MPEG, High, 2 pass - the original one was MPEG standard single pass) and there was the same problem. I ran the online screen tests (via google) and my blacks seemed okay but on the white square test the bottom row could not be seen at all.

So here's the thing - am I just being paranoid or is my screen not 100% perfect. I basically want the ipod for the video and when I watch it I want it to be as sharp as possible and at the moment it is not. Anyone else understand what I am on about?

2. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I can't see all the white squares on mine either.

But my Week 38 is much better than the old Week 37 I returned (negative blacks.)

What you really have to ask yourself is, how satisfied are you watching videos on the screen? I find watching videos very pleasing, preferable for example to some PDA's I used to own. I don't know which one does better in a technical test, but the iPod Touch screen is one of the better mobile screens IMO.

OTOH if you find that there are distracting artifacts when you watch videos (whether it's blacks, whites, stuck pixels, loss of details, whatever) then it's something I'd be more adamant about getting looked into.