Screen issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tspain21, Mar 8, 2015.

1. tspain21 macrumors newbie

We bought a refurbished Mac in 2010 or 2011. It says it's an early 2009, 24-inch model. It was fine for several years then one day I turned it on and there was a white line across the dock. Fast forward and more lines appear. Then I get four 'color blocks' (for lack of a better term) going horizontally across the screen. The screen is a mess and incredibly hard to use these days. We pretty much just use the iPad and my husbands Macbook Pro because it's such a pain to use the iMac.

We don't have the Apple Care protection plan so the last time I talked with someone in customer service they pretty much told me I was out of luck. :( With the money we spent on this thing, you'd think this wouldn't happen, and if it did, you'd think Apple would back up their products. The guy on the phone acted like this has never happened before.

Here are some pictures

This is what it looks like when it first starts up
    [​IMG]

After it's been on for a few minutes
    [​IMG]

You can see where the icons (anything that is opened up) get 'burned into' the screen here. And those lines you can see are moving.
    [​IMG]

And then sometimes it does this
    [​IMG]

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

You bought the iMac with full knowledge that it came with a 1 year warranty, and that at additional expense, you could extend service coverage to 3 years.

It's a bit much to be expecting a 5 year old computer to be repaired by Apple for free.

From the pictures, it appears that the GPU is failing. There's not a lot you can do, apart from buying a new one.

Do you keep a time machine backup of your Mac? If not, I would do so immediately before the Mac is kaput.