Screen keeps getting smudgier and smudgier

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook yes, Jul 1, 2009.

1. macbook yes macrumors 6502

My screen is really smudgy. I tried windex with the microfiber cloth that came with it, and it didn't help. I tried water and it didn'y help. I went out today and bought a bottle of iKlear. I swear every time I try to clean it it just gets smudgier. What else can I do. I use the black cloth it came with, but everything I try makes it worse.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Windex = Ammonia = Harmful to plastics.

What made you think you could use Windex?

Does anyone read anymore?

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Because the screen is glass, not plastic. Not saying I would use Windex because I wouldn't.

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

True. I guess I should've pointed out that Windex also contains a solvent, which is bad for the glass on the MBP.

5. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Says who?

OP: The microfiber cloth most likely has a buildup of oils from your hands. Ditch it.

Take 2 paper towels. Bounty is best. Fold the paper towel twice into a square. Lightly spray some Windex (I have a very hard time believing Windex will harm the MB's glass) on the paper towel, not the screen. Wipe across the screen using long strokes left to right, then right to left, from the top of the screen to the bottom. Immediately take the dry paper towel and do the same thing. Repeat as needed, but never use the same area of the paper towel twice. Unfold it and refold it as needed to always get a clean area of paper.

It will take you a good 10 minutes, but it will be clean.

6. sal macrumors 6502

I use Iklear
    [​IMG]

a bit expensive, but it does a great job at cleaning my MBPro

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Monster Cleaner is the best product i have found.

[​IMG]

8. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

This is probably an instance where marketing backfires since the screen isn't actually glass.

9. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

what is the "glass" made off?

i usually cleans my matte screen with water, dishwasher soap and then I wipe it with 10% rubbing alcohol in water.

11. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

It is "glass," but it's acrylic glass, not the silica glass that most people probably think of when they hear the word.

I'd be afraid of using paper towels on the screen, too, especially rough ones. Once in a while somebody at the theater where I work will scratch the glass in front of the projector by using a paper towel.

12. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I've found using a little bit of gasoline on the screen works great! Just be sure to use a match after. It give your screen more of a warm effect.

13. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Windex is terrible for acrylic glass; it will eventually haze the glass. Windex is not made for critical surfaces.

Paper towels are abrasive and terrible for any glass, and will eventually haze the surface.

It is a simple process. Distilled water and a smooth microfiber cloth to apply the water. A terry-style microfiber cloth to dry (in straight lines) the surface.

14. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

hmm

15. dagomike macrumors 65816

Yeah, don't use Windex. At the very least, use a damp, clean micro fiber. The specialized cleaners and cloths do a great job, IMO. I know my iPhone feels the cleanest after using iKlear or iClean.

16. admanimal macrumors 68040

I find that I have to rinse my microfiber cloths in the sink once in a while or else they just spread the smudges around.

17. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

I sprayed the windex lightly on the cloth, not the screen directly. And I bought the iKlear but it actually looks worse after it.

18. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

From the page I linked:

"Don’t use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives."

Right, you've already ruined it with Windex. iKlear can't fix that.

19. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

How did you get it smudgy in the first place?

20. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

A few fingerprints, wiping those makes it smudgier, wiping those smudges gets it smudgier...

21. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

What is it then?

22. Eclipseon macrumors newbie

I'm not quite sure if this tip will prove helpful or not, but I usually clean my screen with a slightly dampened t-shirt, making sure to use the dry side of the shirt to give it a glossy shine ^____^ It has helped me significantly so far and I don't have any worries since I'm pretty sure the water I use contains no abrasive solvents.

23. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I always use water and a Microfiber cloth. I don't see what the big deal is with having to use iKlear or similar products. Water always works.

24. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

Like I said up above, it's acrylic glass, not silica like most people think of when they hear the term "glass." And there's no way I'd suggest using a glass cleaner like Windex on acrylic glass.

25. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

Nice one, you really got me there...