Screen keeps turning off when nudged

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by subxone, Jun 21, 2014.

1. subxone macrumors newbie

I got a rMBP 15 512, 16gb, gpu.

When I have my rMBP laying down and i judge it or pick it up the screen turns off and its like it goes into sleep mode. I took a video to show how this happens here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P69FHfVLlMk&feature=youtu.be

This is a brand new rMBP only 1 day old, my previous one (which was 2 weeks old) did the same thing and Apple replaced it. I'm all out of ideas about what could be causing this....

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Looks like a loose embedded display port cable. Frustrating but it happens :(

In any event given it is a day old take it back to the store... no sense in having a Genius diagnose and repair it when they can just exchange it.

3. subxone thread starter macrumors newbie

This is an exchanged rMBP, the previous one was doing the exact same thing. I seriously cant imagine this one having the exact same issue!?

4. chrfr macrumors 604

I notice in your video that the computer is sitting on what looks like a bed. Note that using these on a soft surface blocks the cooling slots on the underside. Does the problem happen if you use it on a desk or other hard, flat surface?

5. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

There aren't any strong magnets next to its left hand side are there? That could cause what you are seeing I suppose.

There is a sensor along the left hand side that tells the rMBP when the lid is closed as there are magnets all along the border of the screen.

6. subxone thread starter macrumors newbie

yep its magnets i got them under my bed liner lol

7. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

Just try again on your desk or another surface. If it's the magnets in the bed then it won't shut off, you just want to double check I case something else is wrong

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

1. You got the same machine back
    2. Its a common problem so 2 in a row isn't that unusual
    3. It isn't a common problem so 2 in a row is really unusual
    4. Its environmental

They are all I can think of. Record the serial number (if you didn't already), and return it again as 1-3 need you to do that anyway.

When you exchange it test it in the Apple store.

If your 3rd unit does it and is definitely a different unit then like it or not you will have to suspect the environment a lot harder.

----------

Can't tell if this is sarcastic or genuine, there are a number of theories that have translated to bedding products involving magnets so not far-fetched....