Screen lettering...will it wear away?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by south8212, Nov 10, 2008.

1. south8212 macrumors 6502

I cant stand dust etc on my screen so i use the screen cloth that comes with the machine to remove it almost daily. On the new glassbooks the lettering is on the outside of the glass (bottom center right) do you think eventually this will start coming off or rubbing away?

2. south8212 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It may eventually, I heard of others here saying that it has happened on the older MBs and MBPs.

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

5. south8212 thread starter macrumors 6502

Im not positive but from looking at it, it appears to be.

I had it happen on my old powerbook g4 but that isnt on glass and it looks to be printed differently.

6. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

That would be horrible if it did. How would you know your Mac was a MacBook Pro?

7. Mercellus macrumors regular

I am pretty confident that the lettering for the product name is actually etched below the glass with a reflective material, it should not in any way come off.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have a 4 year old powerbook and it is not worn a bit.

9. tronic72 macrumors regular

User Klearn Screen Wipes: Google it.

This is filler to make the message bigger than it needs to be.

T:D

10. south8212 thread starter macrumors 6502

The question is not what to use to clean it....its whether or no thte lettering will come off. However, thank you for the advice on which product to use.

11. south8212 thread starter macrumors 6502

tried various searches for an answer to this question and cant find anything....im thinking of calling apple to find out whether or not the etching is under the glass or on top of it.

12. Mercellus macrumors regular

On the Late 2008 MacBook Pro, the text is under the screen, and should not wear off (you can see an example of this in the TUAW MacBook Pro unboxing photos, when looking at the screen from an angle with a glare you can clearly see that the glass covers the entire display and that the text is not etched on top of it).

On earlier generation MacBook Pros (Early 2008 and prior), the text is actually part of the display assembly, and while it is not common that the product logo comes off, there have been some cases where excessive rubbing using a cloth or other material can cause these to "fall off".

13. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto