Screen looks uneven when in really low brightness

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kiensoy, Oct 1, 2018.

1. kiensoy macrumors member

So I noticed this issue with the screen of my S4 but I’m also wondering if it’s just something normal of an OLED screen. When in theatre mode if I use the crown to slowly turn the display on and keep it at a reeeally low brightness level the screen is very uneven. Like I’m able to see some text but in some areas I can’t see it. If I open a bright app like maps I can see how bad it looks. I’m talking about being at the lowest brightness levels. It would never be an issue in normal mode but it’s something I noticed in a dark room and was curious know if this happens in all apple watches or maybe it’s just mine.

The image from the attachment is showing apple maps.

Attached Files:

2. vintagekeys macrumors regular

vintagekeys

i had that on previous models of the iphone in the past.

3. iBreatheApple macrumors 68030

iBreatheApple

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It’s your prerogative how you want to handle this, you could show Apple to see what they think. If it’s not posing a problem when the brightness is lowered when viewing content, then you could just ignore it. But it’s probably also worth at least having Apple look at this.

5. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

There is a thread on reddit about this. If you google “series 4 light bleed” you will find it (yes I know OLED can’t actually light bleed, but that’s how the person described it)

6. kiensoy thread starter macrumors member

Like I said in my original post... I was just curious to know if this was a limitation of OLED screens. I’m not really complaining about it, I wouldn’t use it as such lower brightness and don’t intend to return it because of that.

7. dantay macrumors regular

dantay

Mine is like this......this is my 3rd unit week 32, 33 and 35 all have it to a greater or lesser extent.

8. jamets515 macrumors regular

I also noticed this, but I can only see it when the brightness is too low to actually read the information on the screen, so I can't be bothered to return it as it wouldn't make a difference to me in real world use.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Exactly. Most have their brightness set at least 50% or higher, which would negate anyone ever noticing the uniformity with the display being uneven at a lower brightness. I don’t perceive this being an issue.