Screen mirroring to apple tv jerky when playing video/audio

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by saunders1989, Nov 19, 2014.

1. saunders1989 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a imac running yosemite 10.10.1 and have apple tv 3 (running latest os). I also have a bt homehub 4 type a.

When i try and use airplay from my mac to mirror my desktop and play a video on the tv, the playback is jerky. It is also the same for audio.

The apple tv is connected to the router by ethernet but my mac is on wifi. I have tried changing the router channels to channel 1,7 and 11 and that still hasnt helped. i have changed the wifi signal from an n to a g that also didnt help. I have tried everything i can find on the internet to try and fix this problem and bt want to charge me to speak to a person who may not be able to fix it.

Thanks in advance

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I'm having the same issue, only on one computer though, a 2011 15" MBP. My iPhone 6 plus and 2014 15" rMBP works fine.

3. saunders1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats weird... My imac isnt more than 10 feet away and it does it.. have you got anything different setup with the mbp that works?

4. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I really don't think it has to do with range since my iPhone 6 and rMBP works perfectly.

5. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I think your iPhone 6 and rMBP both have 802.11ac wifi (if your router supports it) but the 2011 MBP doesn't. I saw a huge speed difference when I got my 2013 MBA and Time Capsule with ac wifi. I rarely use Airplay, but it seemed pretty responsive when I tried it with my MBA. My Apple TV is hardwired with gigabit ethernet though, and when I also tried an ethernet connection to my MBA it seemed faster.

6. saunders1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

My imac is a late 2013. i think the problem lies with the router but i cant prove that to bt/change it to another router before i know for sure