Screen or cosmetic

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jmouse, May 26, 2012.

1. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Ok folks, I'm asking if you have to choose a great screen but a scratched dented cosmetic casing OR a perfect cosmetic casing with a not so great screen.

I ask this is exude I've had my iPad replaced a couple times now and I can never seems to have a perefect iPad. That is dust free under glass no scratches or little chips or dents on the aluminum casing.

Thanks for your time.

2. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

Casing gonna get scratched eventually, so might as well get the good screen.

3. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

If I had to choose, a good screen without a doubt.

4. lilsoccakid74 macrumors 6502

To me, it would be the screen without a doubt. Never understood why some get so upset over scratches on the back... You can't use the back!

5. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

You can enjoy iPad with great screen, but you can't "enjoy" flawless cosmetic appearance unless you want to buy iPad as a collectable.

I've developed my own "technique" to overcome my OCD-ness - even if you can keep your iPad in pristine condition, with both perfect display and cosmetic appearance, you CAN'T keep your battery healthy at 100% forever. Battery health is going to be diminished sooner or later, and you won't feel like it's a "perfect" iPad anymore once the battery diminished.

There're other way to overcome the OCD-ness:
    - Imagine today is the launch of NewNew iPad, so your New iPad isn't "new" anymore. You'll start to crave for the latest and greatest. Imagine you have the iPad 1 since launch 2 years ago, and now there's New iPad, do you still think there's a strong point to keep your iPad 1 pristine anymore?

- Enjoy the iPad more by "using" it instead of "feel proud" of it. That's what I learned from reading many past posts here on MR. Some posts really inspired me to get rid of the OCD-ness.

In the end of the day, the only part of the iPad you want to keep it pristine, is the display, so the display quality is more important than anything else unless there're other major problems like unresponsive buttons, weak wifi, or other hardware problems. If there isn't any major flaw cosmetic wise, 1 or 2 tiny blemishes is totally acceptable.

My iPad is in the case since day 1, so I never really check for the cosmetic flaws on it, and I probably never care about it anymore now or I'm asking for troubles. The part I always look at is the display, and it looks great to me so I'm enjoying it everyday.:D

6. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I would go with the screen. That's what you're looking at all the time anyway. I rarely find myself staring at the back of my iPad.

7. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Jack. I do think like you most of the time. Infact my iPad isn't being used a much as it suppose to.
    I think of it this way, I too am rather having a great screen instead.

There are some clever ways to overcome the OCD-ness. Hope this helps out some OCD ppl out there.

My iPad is never perfect. But I learnt my way to happiness, which is appreciate it rather than complaining.

8. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

I'd want a good screen.

Scratches can be covered by a case.

9. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Go with the thing you look at the most.

I'd go with the perfect screen myself.

10. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

This is what I don't believe nor understand, when something is purchased brand new there shouldn't have to be a choice!

I have come to understand that nothing is perfect but to have such variants in screen displays is just simply unacceptable. It would be no different than buying a brand new car with a sleuth of scratches but the engines runs great, a lot of car markers wouldn't make it in the mass market of cars. This is where apple is pretty much a monopoly in tablets and there really isn't a good alternative. Don't get me wrong I love apple and own almost all thier products but this new iPad needs some detailing work fixed.

To answer your question OP I would definitely and without a doubt take the screen but it shouldn't be this way about making a choice!

11. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

The key is what you said toward the end. Don't inspect things. I'm not talking Apple specifically--I'm talking any electronics. These are mass produced devices. Apple makes them by the MILLIONS. There are going to be small imperfections here and there. I was very anal about my iPhone 4 and iPad 2, but when I got the new iPad, I decided beforehand that as long as the screen worked correctly and there weren't any deep gouges anywhere (not sure how there would be) I wasn't going to inspect my iPad and look for things to get upset about.

I've found that I enjoy my new iPad a lot more than I enjoyed my iPad 2 because I'm not in constant search of the perfect unit. Not that I've found any problems with my iPad at all yet--I got a good one right out of the box. But I'm sure there are minor things that I haven't noticed, and that's ok. Time to get on with life. I don't want the things I own to own me. Us Apple fanatics tend to get that way, and it's really unfortunate.

12. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

The screen IS the tablet. It's the interface device and the thing that communicates direct to the user.

So it's like you're asking which we prefer: a car with a dent, or a car with a wrecked engine. Well, there can be no choice!

13. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro