Screen orientation flips MUCH easier on one side?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OnEMoReTrY, Mar 21, 2012.

1. OnEMoReTrY macrumors member

So I noticed that if my iPad is off center by even 1-2 milimeters it will tilt horizontally one way(super annoying because it unintentionally goes horizontal all the time). However, I have to tilt it a good 45 degrees the other way before it flips horizontally that way.

The vertical tilt seems to be identical on north versus south axis.

Anyone else experience this issue? I REALLY don't want to take it back seeing as how the device is perfect aside from this issue (great tint, low bleeding, battery great). Mostly just curious if this is happening to anyone else. Thanks.

2. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

3. OnEMoReTrY thread starter macrumors member

4. OnEMoReTrY thread starter macrumors member

5. jw6961 macrumors regular

jw6961

6. OnEMoReTrY thread starter macrumors member

Oh geeze, I didn't even think of this. Just tried it in supermonkeyball and some racing games, its way screwed up. I have to keep the iPad at a pretty significant tilt to stay center. Scheduled an appointment for the genius bar tomorrow. Hopefully the replacement has no issues.

----------

Just checked w/ 2 friends, neither of their iPads have this issue. Theirs are both 45 degrees.

7. OnEMoReTrY thread starter macrumors member

Here's a photo of supermonkeyball's gyro calibration when the iPad is on a flat table. You can see the crosshair is off the grid entirely. I have to tilt the device pretty significantly before it shows as centered. I'm gonna do a complete OS reinstall to see if that fixes it. If not, it's going back to Apple.

Attached Files:

8. Mbman81 macrumors member

They all do that. It is so that when using the smart cover it activates based on its angles.

9. Jimbo47, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Thought I would try this with my iPad 2. It does the same thing. I guess mbman is probably right in saying its because of the smart cover.

Edit: Using the app "Gyroscope", it takes my iPad 2 to be tilted 30° to the left, up, and down to get the orientation to change. However, tilting it to the right just 7° changes the orientation.

10. OnEMoReTrY, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

OnEMoReTrY thread starter macrumors member

Interesting. That could definitely be right. I think I'll play with a couple at the apple store before I meet with a genius just to make sure. Not sure why my friend's said theirs didn't have the same issue. My iPhone is definitely equal on both sides, but again, that could simply be because of a smart cover thing for the iPad. I appreciate the replies.

Edit: With the gyroscope app and the iPad on a flat surface, it says the roll = 1 degree, pitch = 0 degree, and yaw = 0 degree. Seems like everything might be ok. Also my measurements for the screen tilt are identical to yours (30 to the left, 7 to the right)

11. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

Just tried it on my new iPad and it does the same thing yours does in the video. Odd

12. sekazi macrumors 6502

true.

Put it in the typing stand and it will rotate at that angle.

13. OnEMoReTrY thread starter macrumors member

Looks like its working as designed. Thanks for all your posts. Learn something new everyday. I absolutely love this device, but I have a heck of a time prying it out of my wife's hands. Makes a lot of sense seeing as how the angle for typing needs to be closer to 0 degrees than 30.