Screen popped off Apple Store doesnt want to fix

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Chris916, May 23, 2018.

1. Chris916 macrumors member

i was sitting at my desk on friday doing some work, and i hear a POP on my arm. I look at my watch and the screen was just hanging there. Kind if startled me. Made a genius bar reservation for today.

I get there and she looks at it and says it’s my fault because this doesn’t happen with the series 3 watch. I was like i was literally sitting down and it exploded. She looks at again and says “well theres a rectangular hairline crack all the way around the screen. I’m like yea, because IT EXPLODED. How else would i make a crack all the way around the watch??

So she says it will be $289 to fix. I said you have got to be kidding me. That’s pretty much the price of a new one, and i didnt even do anything, and it’s still under warranty.

Im pretty mad at this point and ask for a manager. She says she is the manager. I was like how are you the manager, there is no one above you? She said no she is the “team lead,” and no one at the store is above her. I don’t know about the apple store hierarchy to know if that’s a true statement or not, but i then ask for a district manager/anyone abover her with whom i can speak. Even if it’s not today, a cars or phone number. She said that is not possible.

So this is getting ridiculous, there is no way the first person i talk to is the end-all for apple. She then said i will get another team lead to look at it. Team lead looks at it and said she had the same problem with her personal watch before and doesnt see any cracks. So the first team lead has to “show her” these supposed cracks i make. The 2nd one now says “it’s a grey area.”

At this point i tell them, can you please just send it in to aplle and see what they say. She said that is impossible.

So apparently whatever the first apple store employee says is gospel and there is absolutely no way to dispute their ruling?

Ps there is no damn “crack”. Whatsoever. Other than whatever happened when the damn thing exploded UNTOUCHED.

2. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

Take some pictures. Take a couple of the battery and internals too. Post up if you want opinions from the forum, or call Apple directly.

3. Chris916 thread starter macrumors member

Thats it
    I wish i took pics now.

I posted this while at the apple store. I kept pressing for a manager and she finally gave up and packaged it up and sent it to apple, even though she said it was “impossible because there’s no way for the system to process it.”
    But now reading her lovely comments, i’m not holding my breath. There are NO “cracks” though. I asked her to show me these cracks, and she just pointed to the watch. The other employees couldnt see any of these supposed cracks until she manually pointed a random place on the watch.
    Its one big clean break in a rectangle.

Issue: Customer presents device with crack around edges. Customer states the display combusted randomly and there was no impact.
    Steps to Reproduce: Unpair device from phone.
    Cosmetic Condition: Observed a small crack on top left corner and then circling around the watch from that point.
    Proposed Resolution: Consider doing under warranty agreed no impact points. Could be due to heat and cold.

4. 960design macrumors 68030

Apple will reply via email with warranty decision. The decision will include very high quality, closeup images of the issue.

Good luck!

PS. The expanding battery has not cracked the glass in the past, as it is a slow and continuous pressure. The expanding battery issue is very easy to identify. If your battery expanded AND broke the glass, that would be the first I have heard of. I have seen several expanded batteries push the glass off of Series 0 and 1, but not a 2 or 3 yet.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

6. Funsize93 macrumors regular

Funsize93

is it a complete hairline crack all the way around? no signs of chipping/ accidental damage or an impact point? If no and its purely a hairline crack then that would be covered for an in-warranty repair/ replacement.

7. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

The key is if the battery (pouch) is swollen or not.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Was the battery rectangular or did it look like a over stuffed pillow?

9. Jayne Doe macrumors member

Unfortunately I’ve had four watches replaced due to the battery swelling. Totally antidotal but each time the glass was intact and hanging via a thread of glue. Watches were S0 and S1. Thankfully in my case, they just glanced at em and immediately diagnosed it as swelling. I’m hoping that issue is now a nonissue.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Four Watches is seriously a horrible experience. I was fortunate never had any issues with the swelling with any of my first generation Apple Watches, but knowing Apple, I’m sure they make necessary adjustments to ensure these types of issues are rectified, even though it did affect some Series 1 and Series 2 as well. But I think that’s part of the problem with lithium batteries is bloating, but seems far less of an issue with the Series 3.

11. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Aside from improving battery technology, the issue can’t be fixed. It’s not like producing a better watch is going to solve swelling batteries.

But, perhaps not working a battery to its limits might help. But they’re putting a high demand on a small battery.

And in a watch it’s not like you can just use bigger batteries. I personally hate watches anyway. And would never deal with that Apple Watch on my body. Certainly not at that price.

But, there are certainly alternatives. As a gadget person, I’ve had fancy watches in past years that did all kinds of crazy things. And surprisingly they got by quite well with solar power during the day, and resorting to supplementing with the battery in dimmer and dark environments.

And yes, some solar panels do receive power from office lighting as well.

So perhaps a blend of solar and battery would allow them to put less strain on the battery. The more frequently you drain and recharge a battery, and the faster you charge it, the more problems you’ll have.

A constant trickle of solar power going to it might actually help keep the battery charged and more slowly. Potentially leading to less expansion.

It is amazing that we’ve gotten to the point of daily charging on a watch.

12. mostlynameless macrumors member

When looking at another thread with a damaged watch, I found this Apple forum thread with 8 pages of similar stories. It looks like something is going on, but Apple seems to still be in denial.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8223086?page=8

Some of those pics are really strange. It looks like someone cut the crystal off with a glass cutter. I can't imagine an impact would break like that.

I hope you get a good resolution.

13. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

To be fair, it's not really a watch. It's a highly miniaturized, internet-connected, biometric, general-purpose, mobile computer; with touchscreen, kinetic, audio, and wireless interfaces; capable of running any of 10,000 apps; all crammed together with a battery, in a package the size of a watch. It's amazing that it can last a day!

14. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

True. I'm a guy that likes simplistic things though in my day to day functioning. I set my watch twice a year, and every 10 years I change it's battery when it dies, or if the watch is too beat up (almost never the case) then I buy another $10 watch. Though this last one cost me $29... I wasn't happy about that, but it is nice. Pretty good looking watch... I'm not gentle enough on my stuff for an Apple Watch to survive, I'd have that screen cracked in the first couple hours. So I go with traditional, durable, and so low maintenance that I forget it is electronic (until the 10 year battery change).

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Great post. And that likely doesn’t even some include some of the things that are not included in your post that the Apple Watch still does. I always said it before, the Apple Watch is a multi tool, you may not utilize every feature that it offers, but it’s there if you need it. And its phenomenal that it can accomplish tasks similar to what your iPhone can, where you don’t even need your iPhone in every situation.

16. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

The weird thing is, I'm not an AW fan, or a smartwatch fan, or any kind of wearables fan at all. But I think I just literally talked myself into getting one. I find myself researching them today and asking questions.

We'll see.

17. Chris916, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018

Chris916 thread starter macrumors member

Heres what i got. Loveley
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2018 ---
    I am going to start with local news stations, see if they want to report on this. Then i will talk to a lawyer about a class action. I will not let this go, especially how they insist that i am making this all up

Not only that no matter what i post about it on apples site they take it down. Even when i simply write. My apple watch 3 exploded for no reason

Attached Files:

18. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Well, that's sad. Hopefully that's not indicative of different service being rendered. Threads in the past seem to show quick Apple resolution on popped screens. Popping off screens seems like that would be a defect in the product to me from what little I know.

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

19. Chris916 thread starter macrumors member

I called to complain. So right now im waiting to hear back from escalated support. Im not paying $289 for this

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If you have the opportunity, I would take your Apple Watch into a store versus sending it in. You might be able to have a better assessment with a genius employee looking at the Watch with you and they can determine more specifically what your thoughts are in person versus sending it in.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Screens that popped off at the glue line were and still are being replaced from what I understand. The OP’s screen cracked all the way around which Apple is saying was due to impact damage.

22. Chris916 thread starter macrumors member

Thats actually how this started. Took it to the store. They sent it in themselves.
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2018 ---
    So apple called back said the store made an error. Now they are foing to ship it back to the store and the store has to reship it back for whatever reason, but it “should” be covered under warranty

23. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Ah thanks for that clarification. Trying to work and read Macrumors at the same time ... I mean... no....

24. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

LOL! I do the same. Have replied to old threads, etc. have a great Memorial Day. We will be very WET!

25. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

Great news! You might want to tone down your 'exploded' comments, as I don't see you saying there was any fire or smoke coming out of the watch... :confused: