Screen problem after O.J. spill (15'' MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tomvalko87, Aug 14, 2010.

1. tomvalko87 macrumors newbie

So hears the deal...
    I am trying to fix my brothers MacBook pro that was damaged roughly 3 months ago. From what he tells me, the MBP was on the kitchen table and a glass of orange juice was spilled (by a cat) not directly on the computer, but had pooled around the backside near the screen. It was apparently not discovered for at least an hour. It resulted in the screen not illuminating but the computer its self boots up. Since then we have taken it to the mac-store and they said that the logic board had been damaged and needed replacement.
    Skip ahead 3 months...
    Yesterday i see the thing sitting under a coffee table having not been touched in some time. I take it upon myself to try and fix the thing. I open it up and I clean off some residue from under the battery compartment and other than that I don't see any signs of liquid build up or damage. I started to poke around and clean inside the computer and used some caned air in hoped of maybe sparking the right connection. And it worked! the screen now illuminates and boots up fine, and I am able to perform all internet and normal functions. But the problem is it only lasts for maybe 5 minutes and then goes blank again. Then i reboot the computer and it goes back to normal. sometimes it will remain illuminated longer sometimes shorter. I have many more details regarding possible theories to the problem but I need help. I am not taking it back into the mac store so maybe someone out there has a suggestion.

Tom

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Get some distilled water and put some rubbing alcohol in it. Remove the logic board and with a soft-bristled toothbrush, clean the area which you think might have been affected. Leave the board to dry for at least a full day before reinstalling it and trying to boot it again.

If it doesn't work, you have a problem that won't be fixable for less than the cost of a new logic board.