screen problem macbook pro 17 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by getheo, Aug 13, 2011.

1. getheo, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

getheo macrumors member

getheo

2. Oxonian3 macrumors regular

Hi getheo,
    Would you be able to help me reproduce what you were getting the background with on my mac?
    A picture/link page or something

3. Oxonian3 macrumors regular

This is mine sorry for the quality took it from my blackberry.Here are the pictures and 1 of pic of my laptop opened to see the internals :).I don't think i got those ghostly stripes BUT i have seen laptops that got those stripes.

Attached Files:

4. Oxonian3 macrumors regular

5. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Not sure if those are normal. Although I humbly think they are not normal, my brand new 17" MBP that I received earlier this week exhibits the same "spotlights" symptom, as shown in that photo. :(

On 2nd thoughts, mine is the one with the glassy screen. Maybe all those 17" MBPs with the glassy screens are all like that? :confused:

6. ressac macrumors member

i got macbook pro 13" and same strips, but not so hard , i mean im my case they more soft.

7. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Do you have those results where it looks wavy and spotlighted even with screen brightness turned up? My first MacBook Air exhibited those kind of symptoms. I made a genius store appointment to ask their opinion of it, and if they thought it was normal. They said no, and promptly replaced it. Even swapped the SSD from the old one to the new one, so it was mostly painless. :)

8. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I would take that into apple and get it replaced because what you have there is known as "light leak" I had that same effect on my iPad 2, took it into apple store and they replaced it because it would be annoying when watching videos in dark as it would produce that affect. I have a brand new Macbook Pro 2011 that I bought in October its the early 2011 model and it doesn't produce anything like what you guys are seeing when i turn my screen off.

9. getheo thread starter macrumors member

getheo

The replacement will be new MacBook or refurbished? Thanks

10. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

It clearly isn't normal. Especially not for the timeframe that you've owned the computer. Ive seen something similar happen to older models and think it was related to the diffuser layer in the panel not working correctly. If i were you, I'd take it back.

11. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

It sounds as though you are inside of your return period, so it will be new. They pulled a new one out of the box and swapped hard drives as I mentioned. They just did a return / repurchase as far as the receipt goes. New 14 day return period and all. They pretty much just apologized for the inconvenience, said it was hit or miss, that a certain small percentage of screens are bad, and did a swap.