Screen problem of 2009 MacbookPro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by playmakerx, Nov 24, 2011.

1. playmakerx macrumors member

I recently found some screen problems with my 2009 MBP. After it was repaired in an authorized service provider (screen changed from a LG one to a Samsung one), everthing seems to be fine. But, then some other problem just appears: whenver I move a window to the left/right side of the screen in a position near the dock, the dock will have a uneven/blurry white side line. Of course it may be more obvious because I use a black dock skin. But even with the original transparent dock, you can still see this line. Tried resetting PRAM, restarting for several times, no luck. Anyone knows how to solve this please? I'd rather not to send it for repair again after just getting it back from there.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That's The Screen

Itself I'm afraid. If you can live with (I know I couldn't ) then don't return it, but IMO take it back, put your foot down a little, the authorised service places have good and bad reviews. If possible, take it to an Apple store.

3. playmakerx thread starter macrumors member

Would love to take it to an apple store, but there's none in this city.:eek: Let's see if I can bear this fault or not. The long waiting period for repair is really frustrating.

4. playmakerx thread starter macrumors member

Made a screenshot just after booting.

Attached Files:

5. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

If you got a screenshot of the problem it is NOT a screen problem. It is a UI problem, probably related to your customization.

If the AASP replaced anything under warranty they used parts from Apple directly. They do NOT substitute non-genuine parts, and there would be no reason to on a AppleCare repar.

6. playmakerx thread starter macrumors member

I changed dock to the default, but the issue remains. Never had this issue before repair.

7. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

My comment stands, if you were able to screenshot the problem it is NOT a problem with the panel.

A screenshot does not magically take a picture of your screen, it is a snapshot of the data being sent to the display.

If you kicked a big crack in your screen and took a screenshot, then looked at that screenshot on a computer with a working monitor, you would see a perfect image of whatever was on your screen when you took the screenshot.

Also, if you are sure the problem was caused by the change in hardware, quit wasting time on MacRumors and go talk to Apple or the AASP that did the work.

8. mape2k macrumors regular

I also vote for a software problem. Disable all themes/customizations, reboot and see if the problem persists.

Try <killall Dock> in the Terminal also, maybe that helps.

9. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

A physical screen problem can't be captured via a screenshot just like the others have said.

10. playmakerx thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I agree that screenshot can't show the problem like a crack on the screen. But, this weird problem only appears after the repair. Also, now the desktop/space switch in mission control seems slower than before (takes longer for the icons to show on the desktop). It might be the problem of graphic card or system settings, but how can a repair change them?

11. playmakerx thread starter macrumors member

Tried all that, but didn't work.

12. playmakerx thread starter macrumors member

Almost all the effect thingies are buggy now, including launchpad, mission control, dock mirror effect. Really pissed off.

13. GTANJ macrumors member

14. playmakerx thread starter macrumors member

I tried reinstall. Still, the problem is there.

15. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

I don't think you are getting it. The problems you are describing, even the ones you are just letting us know about, have nothing to do with replacing the display clamshell. It is actually one of the easier things to do on a unibody MacBook Pro for an AASP.

If you think you have been shorted (which you haven't) then take it back to the AASP that worked on it and complain. Complaining here isn't doing you any good because we all know that the problems you are describing are more than likely due to your futzing with the UI.

Typically Apple would have you reload the machine and then take it into an AASP or Apple Store. You have already reloaded it, take it back to the AASP or to the Apple store.

16. playmakerx thread starter macrumors member

Yes I will surely do that on Monday. Just trying to find some solution before it if possible. Thanks anyway.