Screen Problem on rMBP, PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macdude2010, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Macdude2010, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013

Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

So,
    I went to the Apple store to get my MacBook Pro fixed (wouldn't boot all the way, ended up being software) Now, since I was there, I wanted to get the screen replaced for terrible IR (see it in normal use). Now, he ran the checkerboard test for 4 minutes and he said it passed, which I find ridiculous, I'm thinking the only explanation was the fact that the screen hadn't been used extensively for about 2 days, either way, I knew mine was LG using the test, as well as the fact that it showed the IR, I tried to show him a picture of it I took, but he gave me the normal script of "If we replace it, it could be worse" I didn't care because I knew this was a scripted response and there is only a small chance this is true, especially because a Samsung screen would fix the problem. Is this IR in the picture bad, I think it is and I think it shouldn't have passed.

Update:
    I went to a different apple store and told the manager about my problem, even though I had no appointment, he immidatly went and got his best genius, immidatly the genius started to check out my computer, I told him about the crash that was eventually fixed, checked console logs and found a ton of crashes in my system, ran a diagnostics, screen was indeed bad as well as my thunderbolt port was broken too, this, coupled with the fact my computer creaked and the logic board made a hissing noise, he didn't even want to try to fix it, they said they want to replace my entire machine, the manager went and brought me a brand new computer, this also had an LG screen, and showed signs of IR. I told him about it, he undid the swap, gave me my computer back until a BTO order directly from the factory mare with a Samsung screen arrived in store, so there is also a possibility ill be getting the early 2013 edition to replace my 6 month old 2012. At the same time, they upgraded my problematic iPad 3rd gen to a 4th gen for free. AMAZING CUSTOMER SUPPORT FROM THEM!

Attached Files:

2. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

added note, that picture is a few months old, i might run another test and get updated pictures later

3. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

I went today and pass the ir test also with an lg screen but found white spots on the screen and they decided to replace the screen.
    Maybe you should try another apple store?

4. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Much better picture using the same test they did

Attached Files:

5. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I would take it back and ask to speak to the manager. Sometimes the tech staff are just following instructions, but the manager has more discretion.

6. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

The manager called me OCD before, one of the employees has called me anal about screen quality

7. benguild macrumors 6502a

I had the same situation and we ran the test like 4 times before it started doing it in store.

Such a PITA

8. anzio macrumors 6502

How long did you have it up for? Mine shows it much worse than that after 3 minutes of the grid being up. Mine is almost like the grid never disappeared.

Have a genius appointment tomorrow. I'll see how it goes. :(

9. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

10. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

There's nothing 'anal' or remotely 'OCD' about your complaint! It's an obvious issue, and I'm surprised to see a LG screen on the ultimate Retina !

Either way, that computer is a significant purchase (as far as spending on computers go) and I would either try another B&M store or take this up with AC over the phone and speak to a 'senior advisor'

Be persistent and you'll get the swap!

11. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Update:
    I went to a different apple store and told the manager about my problem, even though I had no appointment, he immidatly went and got his best genius, immidatly the genius started to check out my computer, I told him about the crash that was eventually fixed, checked console logs and found a ton of crashes in my system, ran a diagnostics, screen was indeed bad as well as my thunderbolt port was broken too, this, coupled with the fact my computer creaked and the logic board made a hissing noise, he didn't even want to try to fix it, they said they want to replace my entire machine, the manager went and brought me a brand new computer, this also had an LG screen, and showed signs of IR. I told him about it, he undid the swap, gave me my computer back until a BTO order directly from the factory mare with a Samsung screen arrived in store, so there is also a possibility ill be getting the early 2013 edition to replace my 6 month old 2012. At the same time, they upgraded my problematic iPad 3rd gen to a 4th gen for free. AMAZING CUSTOMER SUPPORT FROM THEM!