Screen Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mopeyz, Nov 3, 2012.

1. mopeyz macrumors newbie

Hi.

The screen on my macbook pro recently went on the fritz. The screen looks all strange, as if someone had stepped on it (which isn't the case here).

The thing is, if I leave it alone for the night and I open the macbook again in the morning, the screen is fine, and I can continue to use it normally. However, in roughly 5-15 minutes, the screen changes back to looking all messed up.

I will include a picture of the screen for curiosity sake.

As this does not seem to be a permanent problem, I am wondering if there is something I can do to fix it! Perhaps a loose wire maybe?

The machine is well past its warranty, so I cannot send it in. I am not willing to pay the large fee to fix the screen either (I am not a wealthy person), so that's why I need your help!

If someone could help explain where I must fix it, that would be helpful. I don't want to take the computer apart before asking someone first! I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

What version of MBP is that? Hardware specs would be helpful here. What version of OSX are you running? Do you know if this happens only when running discrete or integrated?

3. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

4. mopeyz thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately the screen is doing that thing right now, and I can't check. However, it was fairly up to date. I haven't updated it for about a month, so whatever the last update was. I'm also unsure if it's discrete or integrated, it would be whatever the default was when I bought it if that helps.

If the screen starts cooperating I'll post the specs for you!

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've read about a graphics issue that only occurs on a specific hardware when running OSX 10.8.x. I couldn't find it with a quick search though.

Also if the issue only happens when running the integrated graphics, it is possibly a RAM issue(since it uses the system RAM).

6. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

This could be either a panel issue, a connector issue, or even a logic board issue. I would suggest taking it to Apple and having them conduct some tests to show you exactly what is wrong with it. I had a similar issue with my 24" Cinema Display. As it heated up it would result in vertical and horizontal lines on the screen. At first the genius guy said it could be a cable issue. He installed new cables and that didnt do the trick. The whole panel ended up having to be replaced.

I would start with a basic PRAM and NVRAM reset.