Screen problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tnoonan907, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Tnoonan907 macrumors newbie

UGH HELP! ok i just updated my Mac OS X with snow leopard about a week ago. Tonight i was using my computer, and left for a bit. Went back to sign on--it had gone to a screen saver with pics i have on my computer-- and the right half of the screen left the picture on there. I was still able to sign on but then shut down the computer just to see if that would help. WHen restarted, that right part of the screen was mostly white with a dark purple quarter circle in te top right corner. The white area is not completely blank but is white with lines of color that get closer together as they move left and into my regular screen It takes up the screen completely from top to bottom so i cannot see the menu items on the top right and when i bring the cursor over to the blanked area, the curser disappears. Anybody seen this before????

Further info: MAC OS X version 10.6.8. Bought it (and currently using it) in Germany so it has a German keyboard if that makes a difference

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB

2. simsaladimbamba

Can you make a screenshot or picture with your camera/phone and attach it to your next post?

3. Tnoonan907 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok weird thing is that when i took a screen shot it looks like everything is fine. according to the shot everything is showing.... I am having issues downloading what it actually looks like (from my iphone) but think it is frustration. I am hoping because I can see everything in the screen shot it might just be a video issue-- unless you have other ideas. thanks for your help and i will try to get a picture done tomorrow (i am in Germany so it is about 1:30 AM here)

4. Tnoonan907 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Tnoonan907 thread starter macrumors newbie

on my screen everything disappears just at the right side of the top open window

6. Tnoonan907 thread starter macrumors newbie

and this is what my screen really looks like: IMG_1129.JPG

7. simsaladimbamba

Since it does not show up in a screenshot, it indicates, that it is a hardware defect and from the photo above it clearly looks like one.

Do you have any kind of warranty? And the defect was more likely induced by a person than by the upgrade to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

8. Tnoonan907 thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean introduced by a person... Like a virus/trojan? Ugh didnt thinks macs got them and i have what i thought was good virus protection. More importantly, do you think it can be fixed or do i need to get a new computer....

9. simsaladimbamba

It is NOT a virus or trojan or any kind of malware, no need for AV software.
    With "introduced by a person" I mean, that it either one damaged the computer physically by accident or malice or something else has been done to it.
    It can be as simple as a loose display ribbon cable, maybe have a look at iFixIt for guides on how to inspect that.

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac, but that can be avoided via employing the proper security steps without the help of any anti virus software.
    To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

10. Tnoonan907 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thanks for all your help. I often feel like I am totally technologically slow:-(. I will check that stuff out!

11. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

The LCD screen appears to be cracked. For reference here are the Google results for "Cracked LCD".

From your picture it appears you have a MacBook, the generation prior to their switchover to the unibody design. LCD replacements in these are typically the cheapest display replacements in Apple notebooks. I would check with local computer shops / AASPs (Apple Authorized Service Providers) to see what the cost for an LCD replacement would be. You can find German AASPs using Apple's German locate tool.

Alternately, depending on how comfortable you are repairing electronics, you could replace the LCD yourself. It IS a somewhat long repair in that you typically have to remove lots of components to get to the LCD panel but it's pretty straight forward if you take your time. iFixit has a good repair guide on the process, along with replacement LCDs for sale.

12. DianeK macrumors regular

Could be your graphics card is failing. I had similar symptoms with a failing graphics card.

13. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Display issues caused by graphics cards almost always show up in screenshots though. Thats actually a common technique that technicians use when diagnosing lines/artifacts on Macs, take a screenshot and see if the issue is visible there.

14. Tnoonan907 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dis take a screen shot and all looked fine. See previous posts i think.The screen shot did not include the half screen:-(

15. Tnoonan907 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well turns out it was the LCD screen:-( old model so about 400 to fix it... Can try to hook
    it up to another monitor (or my tv) and it would work. Thanks to all of you for the help!!!

16. DianeK macrumors regular

How did you do your screenshot? With my problem cmd+shift+3 showed the defective display but cmd+shift+4 and dragging restored the normal display so the screenshot looked normal.

----------

Ok then. Ignore my last post :)