Screen Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JasonAV, Mar 10, 2015.

1. JasonAV, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015

JasonAV macrumors newbie

I have a Mid 2012 MacBook Air 13". I have never had any problems with it or dropped it. On Saturday, I lifted up the lid to find lines going down the right-hand side of the screen (see attached pic).
    Today (a week later) It's gone back to normal.
    Does anybody know what the problem is? Is it the screen going as I was told or a loose connection?

Attached Files:

2. JasonAV thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the same computer a week later, and no modifications. Bizzare!

Attached Files:

3. chogue23 macrumors member

It could be a graphics problem, but the graphics on these are built into the i series processor, so I would be more inclined to think it was a display cable problem. I used to have problems like that on a 2009 unibody macbook where the display cable would send funky signals every so often and then eventually it would only work when the display was at certain angles. Hopefully that is not the start of bigger problems, but keep an eye out to see if it changes. Another thing could be faulty video signals after sleeping, and a restart or SMC reset would clear all that up

4. JasonAV thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, chogue23. I knew not to trust them in the shop as they wanted the money, and the easy fix. I've had no problems since its healed its self. Hopefully, I've saved about $600.

5. JasonAV thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

Have you tried moving the screen in different angles to see if its a connector problem and if that doesn’t change you made need a mother board replacement which is $800 better off buying a new mac at that point

7. JasonAV thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have. Opened it, closed it, shook it and even danced with it:D. I've also tried resetting the SMC, but to no avail. It just starts and stops when it pleases. But it works fine when connected to a TV.

8. Abbara macrumors member

Probably a GPU issue. Seen it before with VRAM being corrupted. But if it works fine on a TV, probably it's an issue with a motherboard/screen connection perhaps coming out at times partially.

9. JasonAV thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Abbara. Do you know if that would be a cheap fix or an Apple, everything is as one so you will have to buy a new computer?

10. motrek macrumors 68020

Extremely unlikely to be a GPU issue since the GPU is on-die with the CPU and there's no dedicated VRAM, it's all main memory. So if the GPU/VRAM goes south, probably you'll have problems with the CPU and everything else too.

11. JasonAV thread starter macrumors newbie

New problem now. Half the screen has turned very bright. Anybody know if it a screen problem?

Attached Files:

12. kamalds macrumors regular

I used to have this problem on my other laptops. I consulted a laptop repair person and he told me that this happens when the display cables get hot.

13. JasonAV, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

JasonAV thread starter macrumors newbie

I was away for a week so it's had plenty of time to cool down, and the problem still persists.
    Thanks anyway Kamalds.