Screen Problems? Is this covered by warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aea, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

A few days ago I had a line of darkened pixels appear on my screen, at first I thought it was a scratch, but it's very smooth, and the color is always a very light grey. It's only strongly visible from a certain angle (which unfortunately is straight on, or the viewing angle I always use. I bought my MBP last summer, it's well kept for and I did not put any physical pressure or force on the screen, it just appeared over the course of several days (hours?).

I tried running a dead pixel fixer with no success, I don't even know if they're dead pixels though. What should I do? Can I bring this to the apple store, do I need an appointment if I want to do this?

Attached Files:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'm not really seeing the line you're talking about in your screenshot, but it can't really hurt to have a Genius take a look at it if you've got an Apple store in your area. An appointment is definitely advisable to make sure you don't have a long wait.

A problem like you describe would almost certainly be covered by warranty.

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I see the problem. It a darkish part on the left middle part isn't it? it's like dots.

Yeah go to an apple store near you and have them check it out.

4. Aea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aea

Here, let me highlight it.

It's hard to take a photo that shows it, but it's very visible. View the full sized photo, makes it easier to see.

Attached Files:

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I see it in the picture..took me a little, but yea, once you see that kind of thing, it would both the heck out of me!

I'd say go talk to your local Apple Store, worst they say is "No" and from there you call 1-800-Apple, or the other way around if your local store is far away

6. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

I bet it's not covered under warranty....

Too bad.

7. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

well if those are infact dead pixels then thats way more than 6 so it should be.

8. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Looks more to me like dirt behind the glass or damage to the front of the screen. Without a picture of the front of the screen off it's hard to tell. They definitely don't look like dead pixels to me.

9. Murasame macrumors newbie

I had the same problem earlier, and took it to the Genius Bar in the Apple Store, it's going to take 5-7 days (worst case scenario) since the parts aren't in stock, and yes, it's covered by the Warranty.