Screen problems with Macbooks Pro Retina 2014? Do some issues still exist?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Martin82, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Martin82 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am considering a purchase of macbook pro retina. After a long time of thinking I have already made a decision about the screen size. I decided to go with 15". I was almost ready to buy it, however I/ve read some threads on apple's forum as well as on other forums like this one about screen problems: retention, bad pixels, yellow tints and purple to red tints. Are those issues still present in 2014 macbooks? It's hard to figure out if the problem still exists or is it only present in previous models.
    The price tag is very high to me, but I thought its because of very good screen (which i need) as well as other specs. My eyes are very picky. Sorry for my English, I hope my concerns are understandable.

2. GP-SE macrumors 6502

2014 shouldn't have any issues. I have a mid 2014 rMBP no screen issues at all. Mine is a LG screen

3. iPersian macrumors regular

got a late 2013 model, no problems so far. Have LG screen.

had a 2012 model that showed ghosting within two weeks, returned it and waited for the 2013 update.

4. Martin82 thread starter macrumors newbie

I really appreciate your answers. Hope there will be more.

5. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

My advice, buy it directly from Apple. If you order it online they will send a courier to pick it up in the event it is faulty or not to your satisfaction.

6. Martin82 thread starter macrumors newbie

So far I did it. It is really unbelivable for me what is going on. I was sure that there are some problems with screens as I have read forums etc but...

1. Received my 1st MBPr 2 weeks ago with yellow gradient on the screen. Sent it back

2. 2nd MBPr has a pink logo and pink white screen. I am going to send it back.

I compare it with 2 macs in a store. Guess what? Both macs in store were 50% dimmer then "mine" (set for max brightness). I compare it to an iMac of my friend where white is white in my opinion. Of course after comparison I was sure "mine" is pink.

It's unbelievable for me that a notebook with such a price tag (ca. 3500$) could have such a screen issues where one of the main feature is screen.

7. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I went through five and never got a good one. I just gave up and am still using my old MacBook Pro with an old 2009 TN panel. It actually has better consistency than all five rMBP's I had.

I hope you eventually get a good one, they seem like gold dust though.

8. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

I was worried about this before I bought mine, but Im completely happy with the screen, colour is great, theres no tinting. If I had to nit-pick id say it has the slightest shadow to the top mid-left of the screen, but its only noticeable when I move a folder from right to left across the top of the screen, and even then you have to be looking for it.

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's not a screen "issue". The "pink whites" would be easily fixed with a 30 second calibration. All LG rMBP screens have a pink logo.

Some people are just far too picky. Your first screen was too yellow. Your second screen was too pink. Guess you're not going to get the quality you're after in a mass-produced product.

10. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

TBH If Apple didn't shove it down our throats with every release about how much care and attention is invested in the design and production of their devices, then we may actually be a bit more forgiving. With the retina screens, when they say it's the best display ever on a notebook, I would expect it to be just that. Not just the highest resolution, but the best display.

11. emporiky macrumors regular

Can you please give a quick guide on how to properly calibrate an LG rMBP screen to remove pink whites, as there are very contradicting opinions. :)

12. MayaTlab macrumors member

I haven't noticed a difference in logo colour between the A018 and A020 screens I've had in my hands (two A018 and three A020).

And, if it should be feasible to calibrate white point to a different value, it only works if the white point is decently homogenous across the screen, which is one of the main issues with RMBPs.

Apple's own MacBook Airs are mass-produced items, and from what I can see in stores, they have much better consistency between copies. Maybe it's a poor TFT consumer screen, mostly inadequate for any graphics editing, but it's consistently poor. The issue with RMBPs is that the screen has the potential to be a very decent choice for graphics editing, at leat to a certain extent (IPS screen + decent coverage of sRGB), but that potential is only realised in a handful of devices, not because of usual consumer devices manufacturing tolerances, but of very loose manufacturing tolerances, way beyond what you'd find on Apple's own TFT screens (especially regarding white point colour balance and black point luminance, a little less so regarding white point luminance)

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

Ever heard of things called a warranty or a return period? That's what they're there for.

14. Praesto macrumors regular

I just purchased my 2014 and have had it for less than 3 weeks. Absolutely 0 issues with the screen so far.

15. Martin82 thread starter macrumors newbie

My friend's iMac which is 3 or 2 years old had perfect screen.

16. Martin82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sry, but I can't agree with you. I tried to use Xrite i1Display for calibration. The screen was still pink after a calibration which was quite strange for me as result in number was ok (6500K). There was a bit difference after calibration but white was still pink/reddish. By the way I had samsung screen (A022) and pink logo at the back.

17. blooperz macrumors 6502

50% seems like a stretch to me, but it's a known fact that screens get dimmer the longer they have been used, they are supposed to. So it makes sense that the apple display models which are on 24/7 for thousands of hours will be dimmer than yours.

18. Martin82 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is what I heard from a person in a store, however I didn't know that LED could lose its brightness over time. That's something new from me. On the other hand they are on for "only" 10 hours a day not all the time.

19. GuitarDTO macrumors 6502a

I have a thread started below. I bought mine a week ago, and it has a yellow tint to the screen. It's not bad, but it's noticeable when sitting right next to my 2011. My screen is Samsung. I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm keeping it, the screen is uniform and impressive nonetheless and if I didn't have my old notebook right next to it I probably wouldn't have noticed. I'm fairly certain I could calibrate a lot of the tint out as well. I do feel the OP's pain though, I remember reading reviews before I bought and it seems there is still a lot of variation in the screens. Seems unacceptable for such an expensive laptop.