Screen Problems?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wingnut8, Jul 30, 2009.

1. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

So when I first got my 3GS, a day after I had it the screen had a black strip along the left side of the screen and the screen was cut off on the other side of the phone. Today my friend texted me and said his did the same thing, but he couldn't get it to go away. I just did a reset and mine went away. He tried reseting a few times and then just left it until he got out of work. About 3 hours after it happened it just went away on its own. I told him to take a screen shot but he said it didn't show the black strip.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this sort of problem.

2. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

If the screenshot is not showing the black line, then it must be the hardware.

I would call Apple.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Have you tried to see if a restore will fix the problem?

4. wingnut8 thread starter macrumors 65816

wingnut8

It ended up going away on it's own, he was going to restore but it went away before he had to. I guess he stopped at an ATT store on the way home to show them and see if they'd ever seen anything like it and the guy saw on his phone that he had battery percentage and tried to convince my friend the only way you can get that is by jailbreaking.

5. iNoob3 macrumors member

lol the guy at ATT has no idea what he's talking about

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I just received a refurbished iphone from apple last friday evening.

It worked splendidly for about 30 hours. Then sunday afternoon the screen went crazy on me. It went completely white and had this black lines start to randomly appear and streak across the screen. I tried rebooting and finally restoring but nothing. I made a genius bar appointment for the next day for after work. But around 3pm of monday (about 24 hrs after the glitch) I noticed that it had just started working again... Oh well, at least it was only temporary... right?? so i ditched my genius bar.

sidenote: Also while it had this white screen with black lines I tried to take a screen shot of it. Now I can see that it took a normal screenshot of what my iphone SHOULD have been displaying... back to the story.

About 24 hours passes, and then my iphone goes white screen AGAIN! The genius bar is booked for wednesday so I make TWO appointments for thursday, one before and one after work. The screen stays screwed up (for over 30 hours) till about 11pm on wednesday evening. I used the find my iphone feature of mobileme, just for giggles (i'm using the 60 day trial), and then suddenly my iphone is working now!! I don't know if that actually fixed it or a coincidence, but who cares.

I was still going to go to my appointments on thursday anyways and tell them what was happening... but conflicts came up which forced me to miss.

Now I have gone a full 48 hours with no problems. I don't know if i should try to take it in and replace it, or just assume that it is fixed until I am proven otherwise... I don't want to run out of the refurbished warranty. How long do I have on that warranty with apple? 60 days?

So I am having a similar (worse) problem. Any help?

7. wingnut8 thread starter macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Mine did it the day after I got it, which was the day they came out, and I haven't had a problem since. If it happens again i'll be taking it for a replacement regardless of whether or not it goes away right away.