Screen Protecting my iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jaybar, Mar 22, 2012.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Hi I am struggling with whether I should screen protect my iPhone 4.

I have always had a screen protector of some type, yet with my visual impairment, I am noticiong how much the screen protectors reduce resolution, particularly the anti-glare ones.

Unfortunately, because of my eye/hand coordination issues, I can only seem to be able to apply the moshi ivisor anti-glare, which does cut down on resolution, but also has the advantage of gutting down on fingerprints, while reducing glare, so there is a trade-off..

In is getting harder and harder to find places in NYC that will apply these for you. Almost impossible.

I am using a mophie battery case, if that has any bearing on the discussion.

I cary my iphoen in my front pants pocket. There is no keys or change, but there is a small glass bottle of pills, with a tiny metal cap, if that has any bearing.

My home environtment air can be a bit grittiy as we live adjacent to the Brooklyn Bridge. Also there is cat hair at home. I dont know if these have any bearing on the decision or discussion, but I thought I would add them.

To screen protect, or go naked with regard to my iPhone. Any thoughts.

2. BobbyDavis macrumors newbie

When I first purchased my iPhone, the sales guy said don't bother. The glass is already some sort of tough glass. Unlike my BlackBerry, which would scratch if I looked at it too hard. My iPhones rides in my pocket with coins and keys and not a scratch on the glass.

3. nyfinest32 macrumors regular

I would def put one on there. Why take the risk? If u get a good one u wont even notice its there. Also, their very easy to put on. Do it in the bathroom right after a shower so it's humid in there and u won't have a problem with dust getting caught. Good luck

4. WhoAmI2 macrumors member

Don't put one on and start writing your "I didn't put a screen protector on and now my screen is scratched" thread.

Cover it.... those that say they don't cover it and DON'T have scratches on their screen are liars or blind (if they owned their phone for any length of time).

5. Nocturnal-G macrumors newbie

Ever looked at your phone at an angle? These screens scratch.

6. stickboy2k macrumors member

I was very much against putting a screen protector on mine at first.

After scratching a day old Android phone prior to swapping it for the 4s I was not going to take the chance.

My concerns about losing screen clarity are gone after applying a cheapo Monoprice clear screen protector.
    I had a matte anti glare one on for a while but the monoprice clear is MUCH better. I do not think I lose ANYTHING having this on.

Buy a few of them from Monoprice and have some scotch tape handy for the old tape trick and you will not have a problem.

If you don’t know the tape trick to get dust out it is basically use one piece of tape to lift up a corner and another underneath to stick to the underside of the protector and get the dust.

MonoPrice also has a front and back set that I have and they are awesome and cheap.

7. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

The glass is pretty scratch resistant, but the oleophobic coating on top is not.

8. imHappy macrumors regular

Use one. Seriously.

With a powersupport crystal clear you simply won't notice a difference with the screen protector attached.

If you are afraid of bubbles caused by dust particles, to be honest stop caring about it and buy some 3m scotch and check the instruction video of powersupport. No bubbles at all.

9. rjbeh macrumors regular

there are quite a few screen protectors company out there, if you want something that is easy to apply on these are a few companies that are quite popular.

http://www.pure-gear.com/shop-by-ca...oll-on-screen-shield-kit-for-iphone-4s-4.html

puregear, kinda helps out in applying the screen protector.

http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/ap...een-protector-steinheil-ultra-series-new.html

spigen SGP steinheil series, been an avid frequent user of this company screen protectors. They provide one of the best screen protectors in the market.
    *ps. don't get the ultra optics as :
    1. scratches extremely easily,
    2. turns yellow in just 1 month.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/accessories/iphone-4/crystal-film-set.html

power support. Tried them before almost the same quality as Spigen's steinheil. also they provide a piece of big tape for you to pre-remove any speck of dusts on your phone so that you can apply the screen protector on easily.

Based on your condition i would suggest like other forumers suggest, go do it in a steamy bathroom. i tried it and it works perfectly fine. Now i am currently waiting for my glas.t from spigen to arrive.

Hope this helps.