screen protector advise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrskullfreak, Oct 4, 2012.

1. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

Looking for a good but reasonable priced screen protector for my mbp.
    thx for the help

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Glass not good enough? Most "protectors" end up scratching the glass and looking terrible. Someone may have a wizard pane to shill for you though.

3. Raunien macrumors 6502

Unless you are buying an antiglare film (which I would also not recommend), there really isn't any need for a screen protector. The glass of the MBP is very durable and will not scratch.

4. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

What exactly are you protecting? If you sneeze on it, wipe it off with a microfiber cloth. Does your cat scratch at the screen? Besides anti glare reasoning, I don't understand the necessity of a screen protector.

5. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

Well for one my 7 year old uses it.
    So I was a bit worried cause of that.

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Oh. Not much for that. If you are worried about scratches don't let your 7 year old use it:D Unless they have metal in their hands they should not scratch it by touching it. They will smear and coat it with slime possibly (wipe off). I would be worried about actual cracking and breaking not scratching. But all children play different. There are a few screen protecters on the market but they all get in the way of enjoying the Macbook and may not solve the "my 7 year old uses it" dilemma.

7. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

Thx for the helpfull response.

8. FullCtPress macrumors newbie

My employer mandates privacy screen so I would be interested in suggestions for rMBP as well. I have used 3M privacy/anti-glare screens in the past on Windows machines. Thanks.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'd worry a lot more about the keyboard, pretty much anything they do to the screen can be wiped off, though either way my mind reels in horror of having a 7 year old use my computer. It was bad enough with my sister and a couple of my younger cousins, I left the room for 15 minutes and have 500 pictures in PhotoBooth when I came back.

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

A screen protector is really not needed for a laptop - I mean, it's not like an iPhone where you'll be putting it in your pocket with your keys ;)

11. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

My 7 year old can pretty much do anything on a apple product lol.
    Is amazing how they pick it up so fast.

12. Mrbobb macrumors 601

7 years is mature enough. Reminds of that Ad Dad is calling somebody because the 2 years old just poured oatmeal into the VCR. :)

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't know why I bothered, but I've been using the SGP screen protector.

It doesn't affect the colors and whatnot, but it makes the glare worse than the bare display.

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I reckon it'd be more likely that a 7 yr old would drop it or spill something on it than (somehow) scratch the screen... ;)

15. FullCtPress macrumors newbie

SGP is screen protector only, not for privacy/anti-glare?

16. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Power Support anti-glare film. At $35 it isn't the cheapest but it is the best quality. No more obnoxious glare, no color-shifts/artifacts and the panel is protected from scratches.

Use RadTech OmniCleanz to clean the entire MBP. It works great on keyboards and it doesn't conduct electricity, so No Worries using it on electronic devices.

I use both products on my 13" MBP. After over a year of use it still looks like new.

17. FullCtPress macrumors newbie

Thanks. PowerSupport anti-glare for rMBP is $45. Still can't find privacy screen for Retina model. 3M only has gold screen which is shiny and poor color choice.
    http://www.powersupportusa.com/acce...hd-anti-glare-film-for-retina-display-15.html

18. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

My 7yo uses my 17" and her 13" has been for a couple years. She touched the screen at the beginning, I took a couple of time but now I'll let her use it without me standing over her she does the right thing.

19. procrastinasn macrumors regular