screen protector and outterbox?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mrskullfreak, Sep 27, 2012.

1. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

Who uses a screen protector with the outterbox defender?
    I just picked a real tree camo case up and really dont want to take off my zagg protector.

2. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

You are going to have to. The Zagg and any crystal screen protector for that matter, will stick to the Otterbox screen protector. This not only decreases the sensitivity but also causes nasty watermarks and makes it harder to see the screen.

3. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

Great...
    Thx
    I wonder if best buy will take it back?

4. neotope macrumors regular

5. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Not true. The VZW screen protectors which Pure Gear makes works great

6. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

i used my otterbox defender last night after applying the Best Skins Ever and it seemed to work fine.

7. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

Pure gear ones aren't sticky crystal. They are low grade clear. The little descriptors do make a difference and is the reason a lot screen protectors cost more. I'm not saying any are better than others as that is isn't the point of the thread but clarity is typically reduced and include a nice rainbow effect on the cheaper ones and yes the Pure Gear ones are on the cheaper side. Even their high quality ones I was sent for a review a little over a year ago were pretty low grade.

The matte screen protectors and PET ones that aren't smooth crystal are fine. For instance the lower quality ones, like the cheap Speck clear screen protectors don't create watermarks. None of the film style ones that are wet apply or sticky crystal PET versions (SGP Ultra Fine for an example) work with the Otterbox Defenders and I have pretty much all of the major brands over the past 2 years. .

If you say the wet apply screen protectors work or even some of the higher quality crytals one work, give it a day or two. The outer screen protector on the Defender will eventually stick to the screen protector due to moisture build up. Their newer versions of the Defender aren't as bad, but they do still stick and the touch sensitivity is lowered.

8. Bbafett macrumors regular

Do you know if Ghost Armor will be a problem with the Otterbox Defender screen protector for iphone 5? It will be a few days til my case comes in but getting the ghost armor applied tonight.

9. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

The zagg don't work good at all with the defender.
    Going to take it off.

10. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

It's basically the same as the standard Zagg so no, it won't work well at all.

11. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

I have an extra spg protector I going to try with my defender.

12. Branman1 macrumors member

waiting on feedback on this.

13. Juicy D. Links macrumors 6502

rip off the OEM otterbox protector and use existing Zagg one...

or another brand like SPG....

I have used SPG ones and Otterbox Defenders with no issues..

14. jokerz126 macrumors regular

iphone 5 with ghost armor + Commuter?

i had a full body ghost armor on iphone 4 combined with the Commuter case...it was a little snug, but gave great protection....has anyone tried this with the iphone 5? wondering if this will still work, or have they made the Commuter a little thinner and therefore would lift off the ghost armor?