Screen Protector blues

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Artmuzz, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

I have just wasted £20 so far on screen protectors for my new iPad 2.:mad:

I managed to put the screen protector on with no bother except I seen a white dust spot on the sticky side. I had to bin it and go back to the shops to buy another screen protector. Again I cleaned the screen of my iPad 2 and successfully put the screen protector on but still there was a couple of white dust spots on the sticky side. Concerned that this could actually scratch my screen I took it off and again I put it in the trash bin.:mad:

I am completely annoyed and upset after wasting £20 on screen protectors. If this happens again is there a way to wash the white bits of dust off the sticky end? i heard that using sticky tape is good. I also heard that washing the sticky end with water then dabbing a wet paper towel on the dust will remove it.

I already have the iPad 2 Smart Cover but I guess I still need a screen protector for my iPad 2. I am right?

2. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

I purchased my iPad the first week they were available and have never used a screen protector and my screen is perfect. I am retired and use mine all day long. Don't waste your money buying screen protectors.

3. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

So you do you think the Smart Cover is all I need to protect my screen?

The reason I bought a screen protector is because I scratched the screen of my old iPad last year and now with my iPad 2 I'm a little paranoid about scratching the screen again especially since I spent a lot of money on my new iPad 2..

4. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

I don't have a cover of any kind but my iPad never leaves the house.

5. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

You realize you could have used a piece of scotch tape and removed the lint from the sticky side of the screen protector? I did this when I installed my anti glare protector.

6. ryanflucas macrumors regular

ryanflucas

I'm using a gray smart cover and a matching hammerhead brand back protector. Works great and doesn't add much bulk. I put on a power support brand protector. As long as you apply the home button end first and go slow it goes on fine.

7. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

i've read of people who had scratches to their screens so I would advise you to get a screen protector. As a suggestion, when you apply the protector, do it in the bathroom after a shower so that there is more humidity in the air than dust. Also have a tape handy so that you can lift the protector and use the tape to remove the dust if any gets trapped under the protector.

8. takeshi74, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Tape can help in some cases. If specks are a recurring problem for you then I strongly suggest the recommended install process of running a hot shower for 10 minutes or so and installing your screen protector in the steamy bathroom. The steam helps to reduce the amount of dust and stuff floating in the air. Make sure that you've also washed your hands thoroughly.

Subjective call. I wouldn't use any device without one. YMMV.

Again, it's a matter of subjective preference. No anecdotal evidence from any one person means anything one way or another. Screens can scratch whether you've (or I or anyone else has) scratched yours or not. It's up to each person to determine if a screen protector is desired. The "didn't happen to me so it can't happen to anyone else" mentality makes no sense and is just a symptom of tunnel vision.

9. Kupp macrumors regular

I got a Zagg screen protector the day I bought it, and had them put on for me at bestbuy.

As a rewards member, they will put new ones on for free, if the protector has to be replaced.

When you go to Zagg for a replacement, you pay shipping, Then after you get it in the mail, you mail the old one back.

So If I had to replace it, I would wait for the new one to come, drive down to best buy, pull it off walk in, have them put the new one on, then mail the old one back to Zagg.

Exact same thing with my iPhone 4.