Screen protector for 15" aluminum MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Errk!, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Errk! macrumors 6502

I'm looking for recommendations for a screen protector for a 15" Macbook Pro. I'm not looking for a cloth that goes over the keyboard, and I would prefer something that covers the WHOLE screen and maintains the clear gloss look.

I had a 1st generation MBP and didn't do anything to protect the screen and regretted it because the keys scuffed it up. I don't want to repeat that mistake.

Right now I'm just keeping the wrapping that came with the computer in between the screen and keyboard for when I close it and travel, but this isn't exactly a good solution.

Google and Amazon searches turned up exactly one that looked like it might work but I couldn't tell if it covered the whole screen (not jsut the lcd display area). Most of what turns up in search has pictures suggesting it is for the 1st gen. MBP and doesn't make mention specifically for the current models.

Does anyone have anything they can recommend?

2. Errk! thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm looking for recommendations for a specific make and model, not where to buy one.

3. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

it would help to know what model you have.

recommendations will be different for a Santa Rosa model Vs. a Unibody model.

4. Errk! thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry - guess I wasn't clear it's the unibody (current model).

5. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

if you are buying it purely for protection, you may not need it.

i assume the screen that got scuffed up by your keys was a plastic LCD panel.

yes that can happen. however, with these new ones that have a sheet of glass over it you dont need to worry about. the keys themselves will not scratch your screen. you may get marks but they are easily wiped off.

Glass is very scratch resistant. not that it can not scratch, but just everyday stuff i would not worry.

I have had the uMB since the day it came out, and now a 15"MBP and neither has one scratch on it.

with all that said, i have yet to find a screen film for the unibodies that is clear.

there are plenty of anti-glare ones but i have not found a clear one.

6. Errk! thread starter macrumors 6502

Did the first gen MBP have a plastic screen? I don't think I knew that.

The problem is that I keep the computer in a carrying case and the compartment that holds the AC adapter sits on "top" of it. On the old computer (1st gen MBP) the weight of the adapter pushed the screen down into the keys when I set it down and scuffed it up.

That's what I want to avoid with this. I think that usage goes a little beyond every day stuff like you said, at least that's what it seems like considering the problem I had with the old one.

7. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

the old one, both matte and glossy were plastic on the side that touched the keys. it definitely was not glass.
    that is one of the things that sparked the whole glossy verse matte debate.

not only did apple cut out the matte at first, but then they put the sheet of glass over it and made it GLLOOSSYY!!!

also, because of the glass, the lid does not flex as much as the old ones. if it flexes that much i would be more concerned with breaking the glass rather than scratching it. I still dont think it is going to cause an issue

8. Errk! thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, thanks. That's a little bit reassuring. :)

Maybe I'll just get one of the cloth ones and try not to think about it.