Screen protector for iPad Pro 9.7? Yes or no?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Damn Dirty Ape, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Damn Dirty Ape macrumors member

Since the iPad pro 9.7/12.9 have a special coating to reduce glare, if I put on a glass screen protector then there goes that anti-glare correct? I'm just wondering if anyone is doing protectors on their pro?

Are there any that preserve this anti-glare at all?

2. Perene macrumors 6502

Perene

I bought two IPPs 9.7 and decided this time not to use any screen protector, as I explained here.

And so far, I haven't found a single proof they preserve the visual quality from the screen, and all comments from owners have confirmed they have detracted their experience.

3. Damn Dirty Ape thread starter macrumors member

definitely not what I want - thanks for weighing in.

4. Perene macrumors 6502

Perene

I haven't checked these new screen protectors with tempered glass, but judging from what I use in my iPAD 4, there's no way you could retain the same image quality and not have any glare when using one. I wouldn't put one, because once the thing is there, you won't remove it, not because you'll throw away and waste money, I think that removing is detrimental to the screen once is already glued to it (you will also need to pour some liquid to remove it).

Of course some people will say otherwise, but there's no substitute for a naked/well taken care screen.

What I don't recommend is that you have one iPAD if you pretend to use the Apple Pencil, because eventually it can scratch, even if you have to look against the light to see. The Pencil puts more pressure in the screen than our fingers, and from what I heard, it's not the tip of the Pencil (although it does exert considerable pressure and we need to change eventually), but some particule of dust that can do this (and some users reported this to happen even after being very careful).

The only benefit I see from a screen protector is that touching the screen feels more natural, meaning that your fingers glide more easily when compared to a naked one, that is a little sticky. If you are caring for your screen as best as you can (mine doesn't even leave the house), I don't see a reason why you should use any screen protector.

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Their not necessary. I prefer the Smart Cover.

6. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I don't use screen protectors anymore, not on my iPad Pro 9.7 and not on my iPhone 6S. Over the years, I've found they are not necessary for my use of these devices. They don't really "protect" the screen -- it still needs to be cleaned every now and then, and in some ways they make the viewing worse. I'll wipe my screens with a damp microfiber cloth once a week or so, and that's it. The SmartCover material does a decent job of minimizing smudges, etc. between cleanings.

7. specialk0449 macrumors member

I have both iPad Pro models and do not use screen protectors. Just make sure the screen is clean as well as the pencil point and you should not scratch your screen.

8. SS4Luck macrumors regular

SS4Luck

I have the techno armor ballistic HD blah blah blah on my 12.9 and cannot tell the difference between on and off

9. yngrshr macrumors regular

Frankly, I feel that the 9.7" Pro is exponentially better than my old Air in terms of scratch resistance. I am crazy about using screen protectors on my devices and I see zero reason to use it on the Pro. It's been fantastic. I use it every day and really put it to work.

10. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

when I first bought my iPad I thought it would be a good thing but I'm very glad that I didn't bother. The screen is more durable than people give them credit for. The iPad Pro has a beautiful screen, I think anything over top would only be determental to the experience.

11. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

I didn't buy AppleCare for my Air 2 and opted instead to put a nice case and invisible shield glass on the screen. One night I fell asleep with it in bed and it fell screen first onto my wood floor. The IS glass had a crack in it but the actual screen was still perfect, so I'd recommend a glass one based on my experience. I plan on doing the same for my 12.9' Pro.

12. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

I use Anker's tempered glass screen protector. Nothing comes close for $9.99 . Best thing you can do to your iPhone.

13. cybertek macrumors regular

cybertek

If you use a cover I do not see the need for a screen protector.
    The guy at the Apple store recommended against it due to possible damage to the coating on the screen