Screen protector for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Saberon, Jul 26, 2011.

?

Do you have a screen protector on your MBP?

1. Yes I do, wouldn't go without!

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No way, it's pointless!

30 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Does anyone here have a screen protector on their MBP? Is there even a point to it? I'm a huge fan of the PS anti glare for iPhone etc and was contemplating the Macbook Pro version. Thing is, they're $35! Plus shipping to Canada is $22, although I have family coming up from the USA in a month that can bring it, that way shipping is only $5 to USA. But still, I'd hate to screw it up and waste $35...I'd feel better about having a backup one but that's $75 with shipping...that's just nuts.

Does anyone use a screen protector of any kind or is it pretty much pointless? I do have the Radtech Screensavrz so the keys don't leave marks on my screen when it's closed. Any thoughts/suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks

2. srxtr macrumors 6502a

What do you need a screen protector for? It's not like the screen is touchscreen and it's a laptop, so the screen will never see the external side.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

4. fingerman macrumors member

I was thinking of screen protector but it's proper OCD ! :)

I already have a Speck clear case, Moshi palm, trackpad and keyboard cover - the screen is just a step too far !

5. DPM888 macrumors newbie

I would like to find one, but I've tried a few and they are very difficult to apply. I could not align the film and the air bubbles were everywhere.

I want an anti-glare film that is easy to apply and I don't want to spend $30 for something that does not work.

Any suggestions?

6. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

Maybe I just don't use my MBP in high enough risk situations, but if I am in a situation where I genuinely need something covering the screen to keep it from scratching... I wouldn't be using a $2-3k computer.

7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

u like the palm gaurd?

tot he OP

a screen shield for a laptop is pathetic. phones ipods etc, there touch screeens and small portable devices.

the macbook pro has a glass display. u know how hard it is to try and scratch a window? there should be no need as there no reason for you to be touching the screen in the first place.

8. whitehat09 macrumors newbie

So I am pretty ocd/paranoid about the physical condition of my expensive electronics and do have a screen protector on my 2011 13" mbp. I wanted one because on the older MacBooks the screens would get boxes/lines from the skin oil on the keys, and if not noticed in time this could cause permanent lines/damage. I was looking around and couldn't find any decent clear protectors (so I couldn't even tell it was there), but Im a big fan of zagg invisibleshield and bestskinsever and was surprised they don't offer these. I actually emailed zagg asking why and they said they don't offer them because there afraid the adhesive on the skins might ruin screens when being removed. But the apple screens aren't any old screen and I was pretty confident it couldn't be ruined if you were gentle. So I was considering spending $30+ for a full body skin plus a DIY piece to cutdown to fit on the screen. But the next day I was going through TJMaxx and found a Zagg full body invisible shield kit for a macbook air for $5. So what I did was I buy a 13" and a 11" air kit (both $5), used the 13" kit on the top and bottom of the mbp, and used the 11" top piece as the screen protector. The 11" piece covers all of the screen but not all of the black border, and its completely clear with no bubbles (but I will admit, applying a skin that big isn't a quick job, it takes a few tried to get it right). I am very pleased with how it looks.

So maybe if your close to a TJMaxx you should look there, lol.

9. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

wish i had one :'(
    i had my macbook pro open near my colleges iMacs..
    i turned the screen on my iMac to show a friend something and it scratched my screen with its knife like edges :(

10. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

been using macs for about 5 years now, and pcs for a long time before that.... never saw a need for a screen cover. I don't see what you could be doing with the lid open to warrant needing to protect your screen, and when you're done working on it, close the lid and nothing will scratch your screen.

At the same time, I also don't use protective cases on my computers. I don't think a plastic case is going to save my mac if i drop it off a table, and i don't really see how I would drop it off the table in the first place.?

11. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I tried to put one on my macbook Pro simply for the anti-glare. Let me tell you they are very hard to get on without any air bubles. I couldnt do it, and ended up throwing it away.