Screen protector for touch screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ppc_michael, Oct 6, 2007.

1. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I just got an iPod touch but I figure you iPhone peoples will know more about this than over at the iPod forum. :)

I'd like to get a screen protector. Do they affect the sensitivity/functionality of the touch screen?

I'm looking specifically at this one: http://www.amazon.com/LCD-Screen-Protector-Creative-Micro/dp/B000ODVEQM/

Or is there a better one somewhere?

Would you recommend protecting the screen in this way?

2. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Even though its $0.98, the shipping could be $6.99.

I'd recommend BestSkinsEver. Though may not have one for the Touch, I have the one for the iPhone and it does not affect sensitivity/functionality at all. Been using BSE for over a year and have had no issues. Just avoid ShieldZone, overpriced for the same product.

3. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

4. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

^I'm loving that one! I just grabbed it. Installed very easily..much better then the others that I tried... Not an airbubble to be seen! And, for $15, it came with two!

5. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I actually didn't notice that two came in the package. Is it free shipping too? If so, that's a better deal than BSE! Never used static screen protectors except on the Macbook but since it's not touchscreen, I don't know how well it would hold up on the iPhone.

6. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Best Investment EVER!

I had one on my phone from day one. I have only dropped my phone once, and it landed perfectly flat on the face, on the street.

I picked it up and expected the worst. The screen had 5 very small rocks stuck in it. I peeled off the protector and all was well.

Best 15 bucks I ever spent. It was funny, the few days I didnt have it on till I bought another set was kinda wierd. I'd grown so used to the feel, the glass felt strange..

7. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

This is what I have, based on the recommendation of the Apple Store employee, and it is wonderful. It is held in place by surface friction so you can move it around to get it lined-up right and then it just works. The box comes with two, but I imagine you'll get an easy six months or more out of each one.

8. PDE macrumors 68020

I just want to chime in with my opinion. I've tried several: Powersupport, Marware (the one included with the rubber case) and the Brando protector. I also have the bodyguardz one, but I haven't installed it.

Ok, i like the feel of the powersupport one the best. It add slight friction, but not so much to be in the way. Just feels really good. AND, best of all, smudges are not as visible. What I don't like at all is that because of the antiglare characteristics of this one, the display appears slightly grainy and not as sharp as without. I don't like the way it makes the screen look, but I like the antiglare part - it's a trade-off.

The marware one was excellent, clear and shows smudges. Seems very thin, but easy to put on and generally invisible.

The brando one is so far my favourite. Seems sturdy, covers all the way to the metal edge (as opposed to a fraction of a mm off like the other ones). Because it's so tight-fitting, it's a little more tricky to get on properly. I worked on it for probably 25 minutes before I got it right. It's easy enough, but require a little more patience and precision. It is JUST like having the naked screen - exactly the same feeling, smudges, clarity and everything. Very nice.

Finally the bodyguardz. I haven't installed it, but it actually feels surprisingly smooth without causing any friction. Maybe there's a little bit more friction that the powersupport one, but it feels pretty good and I can imagine that when it's on it would be nice.

Hope that helps.

9. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Yes it is, even international shipping.

10. netronin macrumors member

Powersupport makes a 'crystal' screen protector as well that doesn't have the issue of making the screen grainy. I tried botht he marware and the powersupport crystal and powersupport was much better fitting.

11. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

I chose crystal over antiglare. I usually do anyways...I prefer clarity over grainy.

12. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I'll add my recommendation to those above for the Power Support crystal film set.

It's a great compromise between protection and aesthetics.

13. PDE macrumors 68020

Oh, I didn't know that. That explains why nobody complains about the graininess - because nobody buys it! Just me...

thanks

14. Built macrumors 68020

I have the Power Support Crystal Film Set. Absolutely awesome. Fits well. No air bubbles as with other screen protectors.

I found that the easiest way to put it on is to start by lining it up to the edge at the bottom of the iPhone. With the little cloth provided with the iPhone, and pushing the cloth gently with my index finger, I slowly moved my way up, working from side to side in small strokes from one side of the iPhone to the other. It only took a few minutes, but this method seemed to work best.

I actually went out and bought another set to have on hand as I liked this so much, and don't have to worry about my iPhone screen any longer.

15. thestaton macrumors 6502

I was not impressed with the power support crystal film set. my first one only lasted 2 weeks until for no reason a spot showed up dead center of my display. I took the cover off and tried to remove it but no luck.

I'm going to try my best skin ever next.

16. YoungCreative macrumors member

YoungCreative

Buy a case before screen protector

Being the paranoid owner of new technology, I purchased a screen protector for my iPhone at the Apple Store a couple of days after I bought my phone. Since then, I have serious doubts that it was even necessary.

I have seen the many videos on the Internet showing people trying to scratch the glass without success. After two months, I have yet to even scratch the protective film! This leads me to believe that I would have been just fine in saving the $15 that I spent on the screen protector.

If you do feel the need/paranoia to buy a protective film, don't worry about sensitivity. (It looks great and everyone has been surprised when I point out that there is a protective film on the screen.) It does not interfere in any way with the touch response.

What I truly recommend is some kind of case! I have dropped my iPhone four times and have been semi-comforted to hear the rubber "InCase" hit the deck rather than the metal of my iPhone. The silicon incase cover fits very nicely at first but will loosen up to be a little sloppy after a couple of weeks. However, it does improve your grip on the phone and, as I mentioned above, offers a little cushion between the iPhone and the floor.

17. buymeaniphone macrumors 6502

buymeaniphone

In my opinion, the one and only screen protector good enough for my $500 iPhone is the Invisible Shield. Its made from a urethane film originally used to protect the leading edges of military helicopter blades. Its tough stuff, you can run a key or even a pocket knife against it and it doesn't even leave a mark. For $14, its not a bad investment. If you've used your iPhone for awhile then it might feel weird to run you finger against it cause its not as smooth as the glass iPhone screen, but you get used to it.

18. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

It is very good so long as you have the patience and ability to apply it well.

I found it a very fiddly task on a 5G video iPod.

19. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

Ill add my vote for the Power Support Crystal Film. VERY easy to put on. I have a friend who has a iPhone with no screen protector and I really could not tell the difference between the glass and my crystal film. A great investment to go along with your iPhone (or iPod I guess)

20. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I used a protective film for the first 2 and a half months I had my iPhone. First I used the one included with my case from Case-Mate and then I used one of the protective films sold on apple.com. My final opinion, you don't need one. I have use my phone for around a month now with no film and it works just the same. The screen is glass and extremely difficult to scratch. Instead I would recommend simply buying a case you like(if available). I don't really know what all is offered for the iPod Touch since I do not own one, but IMO the films are a waste of money. BTW, I dropped my iPhone twice with the films on and twice without the films and nothing happened either time.

21. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

I do not think films are a waste of money at all. If you dropped your iPhone and it landed on a corner, hitting the screen, then a protector might help.

I always recommend Exim brand screen protectors. I have used them on my 5G iPod, mobile phone, PSP, and now the iPhone. Normally I can only find them through ebay.

22. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

No need to put a screen protector between you and your screen. The glass does not scratch. The type of damage (impact) that the screen is sensitive to won't be helped by a thin piece of plastic.

23. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I found out the hard way the easiest thing to scratch is the plastic case around the screen. I've dropped my phone countless times, and wish I had it in its case at the time when I dropped it (I bought a holster that you have to take the phone out to talk on). The screen is still immaculate, however the casing is not nearly as much. Maybe if I ever get a new battery, I'll get a new body for it too :D

24. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

What a pity Apple cannot solve this problem. Can't be that difficult to produce a scratch resistant bezel.

25. asc88 macrumors newbie

Power Support Crystal Film VS Power Support Anti-glare Film

Power Support Crystal Film VS Power Support Anti-glare Film

So which one is better????????