Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I need screen protector help because I'm getting really ticked off. First off I am extremely bad at applying screen protectors and have ruined more expensive ones just because it takes me 20 tries to get it on straight and by the time I do specks of dust have gotten stuck to it or whatnot.

So I decided to buy some screen protectors on ebay. They were $5 each including shipping. The very first thing I did the second I took my ipad out of the package was apply the screen protector and it didn't come out too bad...just a few bubbles around the edges. And it also took me about 45 minutes to get it on still not perfectly.

I had this genius idea to buy one of those decal things off of ebay to put around the edge to hide the bubbles because they were irritating me. Everything was lined up perfectly and it looked great and I was so proud of myself...then I turned the ipad on and it was cutting off part of the screen. When I took it off it stuck to and removed the screen protector off and basically ruined it.... eventhough they say they are reusable i have yet to find a screen protector that actually is.

So basically now what I am looking for is a screen protector or possible full body coverage (will that mess up with the heating/cooling? Just wondering because I know apple said that the back was designed to let heat out of the device and to take it out of the case when charging so it doesn't get too hot...) that is preferably clear...preferably will reduce the glare...and that I can get on fairly easily without it looking like total crap. I just don't want to spend a fortune on something like the zagg shield only to find out that due to my lacking of screen protector application skills it makes my ipad look like a cheap piece of crap.

Please help me find a decent, inexpensive screen protector or full body coverage.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I am very careful but I have a small dog who likes to without warning jump on my lap. I already have a case, I'm just worried that while I am using it she will jump up and put her paw on the screen before I have time to react. I know it won't look as good as without a screen protector but I'd just feel safer knowing it is there.

I also would like to find an actual lint free cloth to wipe it with. Every cloth I have tried has left lint or doesn't get all the specs off of it.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Microfiber is the best cloth to use.
I put on a Power Support brand anti-glare screen protector, was not easy, but theirs are thicker so it was a little easier to handle. It looks almost perfect and now I can use the ipad outside! The glare on the screen before was like a mirror outside.

On the back I have a gpstore.com skin, that is an even thicker heavy textured vinyl, I got the black microfiber styled one. looks great.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
ok this anti-glare film looks like it might be promising. I just have some questions about it.

Is it one of the ones where it has a backing that you have to peel off and it is slightly sticky or is it just purely static cling?

Is it reusable? I'm really cheap so I don't want to spend $25 on it unless it is something where if it comes off I won't be able to put it back on.

Also is there a particular microfiber cloth that is good? I do have a microfiber cloth already but it leaves lint balls behind.

RYANL27

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2009
I will second the recommendation for Power Support Antiglare. Mine arrived in the mail about an hour ago, and I just installed it. Couldn't be happier. It took me a couple tries to get it straight and dust free underneath, but it was really quite easy. It is just static cling, so you get as many tries as you need. I just used a bit of tape to pull the screen up at the corner to reapply (being careful not to get fingerprints on the underside). By the same token, it is reusable, and I would think this one would be pretty hard to damage, as it's quite thick. And this is coming from the guy who ruined my invisible shield last weekend when trying to put it on my iPhone 4. What a disaster that was to install.

bostonte

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
I bought a 3-pack on Amazon for $4.36 including shipping. They are great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D8GAA0/ref=oss_product

Warning: they have a protective layer on the top also that you aren't supposed to remove until it's installed. If you don't realize this, you may think they look like crap and have an awful checkerboard effect when you look at the screen.

I did. Some reviews mention it. I was rather upset at how bad it looked and thought I had wasted the money.

Take the top film off when you're done, and it looks as good as I could expect anything. Never mind for 3 at $4.36.

Use a pair of latex gloves when you're installing, and you can reposition and touch both sides without ruining the protector.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I will second the recommendation for Power Support Antiglare. Mine arrived in the mail about an hour ago, and I just installed it. Couldn't be happier. It took me a couple tries to get it straight and dust free underneath, but it was really quite easy. It is just static cling, so you get as many tries as you need. I just used a bit of tape to pull the screen up at the corner to reapply (being careful not to get fingerprints on the underside). By the same token, it is reusable, and I would think this one would be pretty hard to damage, as it's quite thick. And this is coming from the guy who ruined my invisible shield last weekend when trying to put it on my iPhone 4. What a disaster that was to install.

Power Support are fantastic. I've used them on my iPhone and iPad and love the antiglare.

I find them pretty easy to install. One thing I have not tried that I've seen recommended is install it in a steamy humid bathroom to keep dust down.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I bought a 3-pack on Amazon for $4.36 including shipping. They are great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D8GAA0/ref=oss_product

Warning: they have a protective layer on the top also that you aren't supposed to remove until it's installed. If you don't realize this, you may think they look like crap and have an awful checkerboard effect when you look at the screen.

I did. Some reviews mention it. I was rather upset at how bad it looked and thought I had wasted the money.

Take the top film off when you're done, and it looks as good as I could expect anything. Never mind for 3 at $4.36.

Use a pair of latex gloves when you're installing, and you can reposition and touch both sides without ruining the protector.

I have issues with these double sticker ones. These are the same kind I bought off of ebay but cheaper..the problem is that they peel off too easily and once they peel off you need a new one. I had the same style for my phone and had to replace it every month. I've had my ipad for less than a week and already had one peel off although that was from the decal.

I might buy a pack of these just as a spare because they are so cheap but I think I am going to cave in and buy the $25 one.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I am very careful but I have a small dog who likes to without warning jump on my lap. I already have a case, I'm just worried that while I am using it she will jump up and put her paw on the screen before I have time to react.

I can assure you that a dog's paw will not scratch the glass on an iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.