Screen protector hindering screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hitman0304, Jun 24, 2010.

1. hitman0304 macrumors member

I purchased an Ifrogz case as well as Ifrogz screen protectors. I just put it on and it definitely makes the screen look worse. Nothing awful but you can definitely tell there's something on it. Should I just go for the Invisible shield or am I just being too crazy about having a shield? Is one really needed?

2. Zoticus macrumors newbie

It's funny you say that, I bought one from Best buy, took it out int he car and just place it on top (not applying it) and noticed how the crispness seemed to go down..so I returned it for now.

Power Support's Crystal Film should hopefully be a good solution. It isn't due out until the end of July, but they claim to be working on an "HD antiglare".

I would love to know if someone found a screen protector worth using.

3. tsmithgolf2000 macrumors regular

I agree, but after hearing all the stories of the phone getting scratched up I purchased a rocketfish from BB, which I really like and a screen protector by ifrogz (anti glare), which does a good job with smudges but it definitely reduces the screen clarity. So hopefully someone will post about some great screen protector that doesn't reduce screen clarity. Unfortunately I would imagine they are all going to hinder it somewhat because after all you are comparing a view of looking through glass or a piece of plastic over glass....which one is always going to look better.

The more I think about the more I am considering going without the screen protector, after all this is my 3rd iPhone so it seems this one only has to last me 12 months, I might as well enjoy the screen.

4. hitman0304 thread starter macrumors member

Ya I am considering not using the screen protector. I feel like if we have this amazing screen why would we mess with it. But then again I will feel awful if I scratch it in anyway :/

5. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I ended up getting an invisible shield. Happy so far and don't feel it makes the screen look bad

6. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I'm a fan of protectors. The iFrogs are very poor in my experience and Invisible Shields are poor, hard to apply and look terrible due to the orange peel effect. If you want something to cover the whole phone get Wrapsol, if you want something just for the front get Powersupport.

my 2 cents

7. oldschooldude macrumors regular

I bought the same from BB, but was STOOPID enough to make the MISTAKE of taking it home and putting the damn thing on my iP4. It does diminish the crispness of the screen if ever so slightly, but enough for me to notice.

On top of that, I also bought a case (Griffin Reveal) for the back and rim, and it interferes with the screen protector by causing it to come up on one side of the display screen.

Needless to say, I will have to use this piece of crap iFrogz until a better solution is available.

8. gmikesell macrumors regular

I actually like the Invisible Shield

I went to Best Buy yesterday to get a screen protector and the best I could come up with for a crystal clear protector was the Zagg Invisible Shield. Not my first choice but I needed something and I think it does a great job. I'm not a fan of the surface texture but I'm getting used to it. My only concern is about whether or not it will damage the oleophobic coating on the screen surface. What is the "orange peel" effect you guys are talking about?

9. Orbane macrumors member

If you look at the shield in the light (heck you can even see it normally) the surface looks to have small bumps/identations (not imperfections - just how it is manufactured) that look similar to the peel of an orange. That's the effect people are talking about, it's nothing to do with the shield peeling :)

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I have a .99 eBay Special on mine. Completely invisible (not antiglare) & does not interfere w/ touch screen functionality.