Screen protector - iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ilovefetachez, Nov 7, 2017.

1. ilovefetachez macrumors newbie

Anyone recommend a particular screen protector without a noticeable lip? Is apple equipped to put screen protectors on in store? Thanks!

2. Shadowbech macrumors 601

What do you mean noticeable lip? Apple has a machine made by Belkin to install the Belkin's screen protectors for you.

3. ilovefetachez thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh i just mean when you can see/feel the edge of the screen protector. It was really more annoying around the old home button so it’s probably not a big deal on an X.

4. Shadowbech macrumors 601

With using a case I don't feel any lip (edges of the screen protector) at all. Feels just like it's not there. But if you go naked and just use the screen protector, then yes.

5. ratigator macrumors regular

ratigator

If only someone could make one that tapers off for a clean edge.

I hate screen protectors! Please bear with me or scroll on by. Maybe my experience will help someone. I don't think I will ever buy one again. I just reluctantly bought the InvisibleShield Glass+ at Best Buy and paid them an additional $7.99 to install it because I don't trust myself and figured it's on them to install it right. They botched it on the first try and threw it away, grabbed another one off the shelf like it was no big deal and got it on the second try - slightly misaligned but darn near perfect. However, after a day of use, I'm going to try to get my money back. The thing doesn't even cover the entire displayable area of the screen. It is either smaller or the exact same size as the active part of the screen, so you see a hard edge that light shines through all the way around the screen, which causes a distracting rainbow effect. This also makes the remaining 3 or 4mm of bezel all the way around, and the cutout for the "notch" more noticeable (and unprotected). Maybe there are other brands that get this right, but this was the best one that I could buy at Best Buy.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

That’s how all screen protectors are because the front panel starts to curve at the edge of the display, it has to be exactly flush with the screen itself. It’s been that way since the iPhone 6. As long as the sides of the phone curves, this will be an issue.

7. ratigator macrumors regular

ratigator

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Unfortunately, Apple fans often have a strong attention to detail or are just plain anal retentive and cannot live with such imperfections.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I’ve been using a screen protector since my iPhone 3GS and have had every phone since. Currently have an 8Plus and the screen protector is perfectly aligned. Edge to edge on the screen. No gap, no overhang on either side. It just takes practice to get it down.

9. ratigator macrumors regular

ratigator

I'd say this is aligned about as perfect as can be, but since it's the exact same size as the display and the display is under glass, it looks misaligned unless you're viewing it exactly straight on. Personally I think I'd rather have something that wraps around the whole front, but I'm sure those have their drawbacks as well. The search continues.

10. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I like film type protectors because they're super thin, and while the edges are shy of the very edge of the display, they just blend in. Talking about the "dry" style from good suppliers like Tech Armor, TechMatte, that are extremely clear and have a nice tactile feel. They're also super cheap, so I just consider them a "consumable" supply.

11. rockonz macrumors newbie

12. geemiller05 macrumors 6502

Zagg Glass+ or Sapphire Defense. Best Buy will price match Amazon at the 29.99 price.

13. 98 others macrumors member

98 others

14. al404 macrumors 6502

al404

Just got mine and watched some youtube video and seems that the screen even with drops doesn't break but the side hit seems to kill the screen anyway

I was thinking to go with just a case and no screen protector

I also just noticed that in Europe I can't find AppleCare on amazon or ebay, does Apple still sell AppleCare from third party vendors?

15. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I hate the screen protectors, I can't use them. I see the visible changes to the screen and can't stand the lip.

16. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

17. Booch21 macrumors regular

Booch21

I got the Zagg Glass+ for mine when I bought it last night. I thought I was hearing things when the sales associate was explaining it. I had to have them bring one out and show me what it was and how it worked. They were meticulous on the install, free of charge too. Took scotch tape to the front and made sure there was not a spec of dust, placed it on and it fits and looks great. The jury is out as to how well it protects or adds protection ,but it's easy enough to keep clean so far.

18. rockitdog macrumors 68020

19. Archer1440, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017

Archer1440 Suspended

Archer1440

Glass protectors are sheer idiocy. I have yet to see one that doesn't seriously interfere with side-swiping, up-swiping on the X, or the appearance of the device.

PET film protectors are the way to go. Thinner than anything else, inexpensive, easily replaced and available with scratch resistant, AR, and oleophobic coatings.

I've also had one save, had an iPhone 6+ slide off the tank of my motorcycle and land face-first onto asphalt, so about a one meter drop. The film was destroyed but the screen was completely untouched.

20. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

Not for those wishing to protect their displays.

I have never experienced anything like this with any glass protector. I have one on my X now (fulls screen) which does not interfere with my gestures in the least. Nor does it screw with my displays appearance.

21. Booch21 macrumors regular

Booch21

I have never used a screen protector on any phone. Until the X. I was hesitant but I was "sold" on it and had it installed on my X and my daughter's 8. I see no issues whatsoever in functioning with the phone. I have a screen protector on a Garmin Zumo for my motorcycle, and that I have issues with in getting good response from the touch screen. I would recommend the Zagg Glass+ at this point.

22. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

How is that screen protector? from what I read it scratches really easily, how is your experience with it?

23. geemiller05 macrumors 6502

I’ve used the Zagg glass+ and or privacy for a few years now. They’re both brittle IMO. hairline cracks and chips appear for what seems like no reason. I don’t baby my phone but I am cognizant of how I handle it. The sapphire defense on the other hand, is doing very well. Had my phone/protector since launch. No scratches, chips, or cracks. $49.99 is absurd though. Definitely recommend it but only when on sale or if it can be price matched. In my case, Amazon made a mistake and used the sapphire imagery, but with a price discount for the glass+. BB acknowledged it and gave me the price match for 29.99. The lifetime warranty kinda makes up for it in the end too. $5.99 for any future replacements through Zagg.

24. rockitdog macrumors 68020

See my response. They don’t impact my phone use at all.

25. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Zagg is finally sending a plastic template that sits on your screen and it’s a perfect fit, finally got a screen protector on to where it lines up right. I broke the last one trying to get it to line up.