Screen Protector Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by thisistheend11, Oct 19, 2011.

1. thisistheend11 macrumors newbie

Hi, I purchased a Zagg Invisible Shield for the iPhone 4S at Best Buy.

First of all, there seems to be what users call "orange peel" all over the screen protector. Is this normal?

Second, when I applied it, I tried to get in a room with no dust. The application was alright, but there were a few normal dust bits here and there. But after a day, I noticed there are these little dots covering the whole screen that make a rainbow-ey appearance, which makes it very ugly to look at the screen when it is showing a lighter background. Is this normal? I find it hard to believe that that much dust (if it is) could get under the screen, which I wiped continuously.

Third, I see these very short lines, which have a rainbow color to them. Some are squiggly. How could I tell if these are scratches on the screen protector or just weird dust pieces inside? I know it isn't on the screen since I placed the screen protector on the phone as soon as I got it.

It has a lifetime warranty, so do you think I could get another one?

Thanks...

2. thisistheend11 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Peel that crap off, throw it out, and buy a wrapsol ultra at Walmart for $20 bucks -

Mine looks absolutely steller and comes with the side pieces as well.

when u put on a screen protector, do in the bathroom after you run the hot shower for a couple minutes. The humidity will keep the dust particles from jumping onto the screen, (it's the static that causes the particles to jump onto the screen, when you peel the adhesive protector off before you put it on your screen) -

4. thisistheend11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but I already spent 20 bucks and it comes with a lifetime warranty. Does this seem bad enough to get a free one?

5. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I honestly can't recommend Zagg invisibleshield for any idevice product because I've experienced first hand with what you described.

Yes I can't stand the orange peel effect, makes it look rough.

I also had very thin line, like a hairline, on the screen protector underneath the film (not on the glass itself) and it was annoying. Zagg is the worse product ever.

I've got it replaced before but still the same result so I just gave up on Zagg entirely. So even if you do get a replacement, it is likely that it will still have that same orange peel effect.

I personally recommend SGP Steinheil Ultra series. www.sgpstore.com There are 4 options to choose from. Ultra clear, ultra fine, ultra oleophobic, ultra optics. It's more of a dry apply instead of wet application.

I have been using SGP and I am very satisfied with the results.

I also don't recommend wet application screen protectors because you do have to spray the liquid into the film and lay it down, which then can go inside the device through the openings.

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Zagg-made screen protectors are probably the worst screen protectors you could buy.

7. takeshi74, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Try Googling Zagg/IS and "orange peel". It's a very common comment. Did you perform any research on screen protectors before buying? Don't assume that they're all the same.

It's certainly possible. Apply in a steamy bathroom (run your shower with hot water) to knock down the dust if dust is an issue. Again, common screen protector install tip.

You can certainly try. I wouldn't expect drastic changes from the replacement. Those and the texture of the IS are all reasons I stopped using them. They're durable but orange peel is common, rainbows are common, etc. My biggest tip is to perform your due diligence on all purchases before making the purchase.

It can. It has never been an issue on any of a large number of devices that I've installed them on. Granted, YMMV but the point is to get the adhesive side wet enough to slide the IS around until it is in place. If you're soaking down your device to the point where water damage is an issue then yer doin it wrong.

Again, subjective. The IS and equivalent such as the BSE have their fans whether you prefer them or not. Never assume that your preferences are universal.

8. thisistheend11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I shouldn't have put the orange peel thing in my post, sorry. I knew it was a common problem. (I sound like an idiot right now, don't I?). I've seen applications on YouTube and they turned out alright, and they weren't nearly as bad as mine turned out. About the shower thing -- I read on another forum that someone tripped their water damage sensor or whatever from the humidity.

Again, sorry if I come off as an idiot, but...

9. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Take it off. You won't have any better luck with a replacement as the product really is not what most people would be satisfied with. It's really awful.

10. Sammio2 macrumors regular

Sammio2

11. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Don't you have a receipt where you purchased the Zagg, bring it back !!!

C'mon man!

12. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I have a friend who bought a Zagg shield at Best Buy for his iPhone 4 a few months ago and he always raves about it. I don't have the heart to tell him how crappy it looks.