Screen Protector Less 3GS owners. Chime in!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by serialtoon, Aug 5, 2009.

?

Does your iPhone 3G S have scratches?

1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. No

169 vote(s)
    62.8%
  3. Just show me the results

73 vote(s)
    27.1%
  1. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Hello my fellow unprotected friends. I wish to tell you a little story of my iPhone 3G S. After having it with all kinds of protectors such as, SGP Crystal Clear, Incipio Feather pack in protector and BSE (twice!). I have decided that none of these are as good as just the plain jane screen. Now, i am like you guys a freak at keeping my iphone screen clear of scratches, but none of these seem to work, either they are too thick to use with a case (Incase Slider) they are also somewhat....cheap. They too scratch up and end up looking worse in the course of a few weeks. So with that being said, how is your screen holding up with scratches? Its day 3 for me and so far, everything is fine. No scratches of any kind. Thanks for reading. I hope to see your results.

2. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

My screen has been naked since June 19 and so far (KNOCK WOOD), it is fine. They actually put a screen protector on my phone at the AT&T store when I picked it up, but after reading here and elsewhere that that might damage the oleophobic coating, I took it off and never looked back.

3. serialtoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Nice. Ive had a screen protector on since day one. But after spending about 30$ on screen protectors, im over it.

4. iDeve1oper macrumors member

lol I'm the only one who voted yes.:eek:
    Hope that changes.

5. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I have been naked for about a week now. I was using a incipio feather and invisishield but the other day I thought to myself why am I doing this because I have insurance from Best Buy anyway so I took it all off. Love the feel and look of it with nothing on at all. I try not to put my phone in the same pocket as keys but sometimes forget and after a week no scratches at all. If I didnt have the insurance I would definitely have a screen shield.

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I've never needed a screen protector for my 1st gen, 3G or 3GS phones and have never had a scratch on the screen.

7. TLewis macrumors 65816

While my 3GS screen is naked, because of the wonderful oleophobic screen, I'd use the Power Support Crystal Film if I had to use a protector. I have one on my 1st-gen iPhone, and it still looks great after two years (no scratches!). You can barely tell that it's there. I actually bought one for my 3GS, but decided against putting it on (because of the oleophobic 3GS screen, and not because I didn't like the Crystal Film).

(I do use a case, but not a protector, though.)

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

No screen protector whatsoever this time around. I'm truly appreciating the touch/feel of the screen for the first time since 2007's iPhone.....:p

9. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I just hate the look of screen protectors, generally...they always seem to detract from the inherent beauty of the screen.

I got my 3GS from AT&T because I wanted to have a little bit of the launch day experience, but I wish now that I'd gotten it from Best Buy so I could have snagged the insurance. Peace of mind is priceless, IMO.

10. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

It is nice to know as long as its not theft I am covered. Now the price is 14 dollars a month but worth it IMO and I have confirmed that it covers liquid damage. There was some confusion at first.

11. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I used to have the "naked is better" mindset...until i got a fairly large scratch on my iPhone 3G the first month I had it. I currently am sporting an Xgear mirror screen protector.

Attached Files:

12. TLewis macrumors 65816

You're using the wrong screen protector. :p

On my 1st-gen iPhone, most people probably couldn't tell that I had a screen protector. Only observant people would have noticed, by the small edges around the home button.

13. serialtoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

I dont have a problem with the way it looks with a screen protector, but alot of the slip on cases (which i like) tend to lift the protector up on the edges, then over time they start to come off. Then you have the Feather like cases where....you cant really call it a case. To me, a case is there to protect against a fall, not make it look "cool" cause face it, the iphone looks good enough.

14. serialtoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Can i ask you how you got the scratch? I never, ever put my screen face down or in a pocket full of keys (who does that?!). To me, my phone is always in my left pocket or on my desk. I never just toss it into a backback or anything like that.

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

16. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

3G Was naked all its life, and so will my 3G S

17. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I use a screen protector on mine as well as my previouse gen1.

It looks great and went on perfect actually. I can't think of the name
    but it is the one sold in packs of 2 at apple, a green and tan pack.

It really is flawless, and while using the isee case, it remains that way.

To each his own I guess, it appears I am the minority.

18. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

$30???

I've never spent more than $2 on amazon for a screen protector, and have never had any problems.

19. heyp macrumors 6502

i currently have one on my 3GS but i've noticed an issue when i wear polarized sunglasses, the mix of the oleophobic coating and the screen protector produces a rainbow effect... it's pretty annoying so i'm thinking of taking it off

20. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I've been using the Power Support Crystal Film since a couple days after getting mine on the 19th. I don't think it looks bad at all but miss the oleophobic characteristic of the bare screen. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and see how many report scratches.

I think it's the same thing as any other issue with these phones. They seem so prominent here because the only people reporting are those with problems.

Make me a believer!! (in nakedness, that is)

21. TLewis macrumors 65816

A case is one of those things which is a highly personal choice. You want a case to protect against drops (which is fine :D ). I, on the other hand, want a case that protects against scratches, because I do, sometimes, put the iPhone in a pocket with coins or keys. :eek: I happen to like the Vaja ivolution Top, but it's not for everyone.

22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I haven't used a screen protector for about a month now. So far, I've only managed a small nick in the glass from dropping it. I'll probably go back to using a screen protector on my next iphone but I'll always be caseless.

23. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I went without a screen protector on my 3GS for about three days. I got a huge scratch in the top of the screen. It was weird, because I do not keep anything else in the same pocket as the phone. One week later, I had an unrelated issue with the phone, for which the genius bar swapped it out for a new/refurbed model. Now I have a screen protector on it.

My experience is hopefully different than the rest of the posters here, but I found that the oleophobic coating on the screen was prone to scratches. I hope that my case was a real exception to the rule, and that everyone else avoids this issue.

24. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

I hate using my 3GS becuase I havn't been able to go an Apple store to pick up a Power Support Crystal film set, ( my S has some crappy one that came with a 3G case!!!) I had used the Power Support ones on my 2G, and yeh, it's hardly noticeable, and it had the perfect slippyness levels!!! Can't recommend it highly enough! And well I don't really trust other people who use my iPhone to have clean hands etc....

25. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

No screen protector here, after I put one on my daughters iPod Touch, I knew I never wanted one on my phone, I really hate the way it feels.