Screen protector (less)?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Crazyj414, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Crazyj414 macrumors regular

Crazyj414

Feel free to move if asking in wrong spot

Is anybody still screen protector less for 6s since launch?? I'm about done and want to know how they are holding up. I can't get one on right to save my life!!

2. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

Which type of SP are you looking for? Edge to edge or non edge to edge or "3D" ones?

I have a love hate thing with these things. I use one out of force of habit or for some false peace of mind. In my opinion these screens are pretty scratch resistant (not scratch proof)

I've tried many, and many from known names and generic ones and NOTHING seems to work....except the Godosmith Ice Max 3D which is extremely difficult to install. When mine gave way I tried the Anker GlassGuard (non E2E) for the 6S and it worked. It's specifically cut for the 6S. Other than that, every other one I've tried has the dreaded halo around the perimeter of the screen.

Many other edge to edge ones just hang off the edge of the phone which then collects a whole bunch of dust and debris and eventually the glass will just look plain bad.

iPhone 6s Screen Protector - Anker GlassGuard (Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector with LIFETIME WARRANTY) for Apple iPhone 6s (4.7 inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014ZQXMHC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_gM6BwbM3210YS

3. bofphile macrumors newbie

Whi
    Which case would you recommend with the Anker screen protector(non ede) to protect the edge of the screen ?

Thanks.

4. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

Actually, I don't really know as the cases I use don't go near the perimeter of the S/P that I have on now (the Anker one)

I have that gap between the SP and the case that's left unprotected (the curved portion of the screen front). It's not really a big deal as least to me.

Sounds like you're better off getting an E2E.

5. tomi03 macrumors regular

tomi03

Reading different post I've found the best screen protector for the edges are cinder and the Chinese product called IMO? Don't remember the name, both of them are glass protectors and they fix really good with the silicone case by Apple, that was my plan, but right now I just use a power support screen protector and the green silicone case on my phone, I stopped to care about scratches long ago, actually I use these protections to keep my phone for a little more time

6. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

Those are both great products but very expensive.

I did try a product from Cupert (the makers of Cinder) and wasn't really to impressed and would not recommend them. Not to mention their customer service is atrocious.

I don't know anything about the iMOS; except for the stratospheric price I've seen online for these.

7. tomi03 macrumors regular

tomi03

At least you can find a lot of products in your country, here u just find a few ones and not always are the best. Thanks for your review about cinder and iMOS protectors

About the first post, I am happy with power support and the silicone case tbh

8. Crazyj414 thread starter macrumors regular

Crazyj414

Any is fine. I don't mind it covering the whole screen or not. My issue is getting it on in the first place. It never goes on right or has bubbles, etc. I was just wondering how much I actually needed one with this 6s and if anyone was having luck without it. If I can go without, I'm fine with it. I'd rather not though so I was just curious.

9. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

In my opinion, if you can deal with micro scratches (which aren't visible unless held up to lighting at an angle) then I'd say skip the screen protector. Just make sure to get a case with a high bezel in case you drop your phone. These things are pretty tough nowadays. I mean it's gonna scratch if you really try. It all depends on what's hitting your screen. They also say sand that accumulates in you pocket is a major scratch culprit.

10. enivree macrumors newbie

I've tried ICE MAX 3D and imos.

ICE MAX 3D
    Pros:
    Excellent Oleophobic Coating
    Cheaper than imos/Cinder
    Edge to edge full coverage
    Interesting adhesive choice (not glue so easy to reapply)
    Washable - although lints go on crazy when you attempt to dry it
    Pretty good customer service on eBay
    Polished round edges al around, smooth to the touch

Cons:
    Most difficult to apply right - 0.05mm off then you will have bubbles that won't go away
    Fiber like lints that traps under the screen protector merge into the adhesive and can't be removed after
    Case-picky
    Noticeable thickness in the home button area

imos
    Pros:
    Most excellent customer service (sent replacement via 2-day FedEx)
    Excellent Oleophobic coating
    Rather easy to apply compared to other 3D ones
    Comes with a metal ring for the home button
    Easy reapplication even with strong adhesive
    Polished round edges

Cons:
    Expensive
    Case-picky
    Noticeable thickness

I personally prefer imos...because I can't get the ICE MAX 3D right after 20 attempts and the fiber got trapped and no longer usable. I have they refund me on eBay.

Currently happy with imos. I've bought Cupert Eclipse and it is still on the way. I'm also interested in the Taiwan company hoda. They have rose gold screen protector and several different choices like matte ones etc.

11. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Naked since launch day like every iPhone before. No scratches.

12. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

Been thinking of doing the same since I'm on the annual upgrade program and less concerned with resale value. It's that damn protruding camera that makes me use a case. Currently I'm using the Anker SP and it works great for $7.99.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

For any device there are going to be some that use a screen protector and some that do not. How does knowing who does or does not help your situation?

If you want a screen protector and can't seem to apply one you can always pay to have one installed. With some experience you should have little to no trouble though.

Ah, I see. The problem is that you can't rely on anecdotal evidence from others. Usage, environment, etc varies. You cannot simply assume that because others did or did not get scratches that you will have the exact same results.

You have to decide whether or not to use a screen protector based on the measures you're willing to take to avoid scratches. If you don't care about scratches or you don't think the options to help mitigate are with the hassle then don't use one. This is an endlessly discussed topic so you can refer to any of the countless prior threads as they all rehash the same information over and over.

14. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

As for installation....lately I have used the "hinge" method for non E2E SP's. This has resulted in a perfect line up for me.

15. ricktat macrumors 65816

$5.99 today if you want an extra. They were as low as $1.99 with a coupon code a few weeks ago but you could only order 1.

16. jessica0123 macrumors newbie

Anker is of high quality and design.