Screen Protector More Necessary On iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by LifeByWire, Oct 28, 2008.

1. LifeByWire macrumors newbie

I owned a first-gen iPhone, and I'm planning to run out and get a 16G white 3G iPhone today. I keep reading threads on how important a screen protector is, but I never used one or had a problem with my first-gen. Have any changes to the touchscreen taken place that make a screen protector virtually "required", or is it just recommended for some other reason?

Thanks for your input!

2. thealmeidas1022 macrumors newbie

thealmeidas1022

nothings changed really you might notice a slight difference but if you were fine without one then you will be okay with the 3g. Some people just like their things extra protected or feel safer with it on... :D enjoy!

3. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

you do not HAVE to have a screen protector. however i personally feel like its a good idea. i had some minor scratches on my 3g after a little while and i took pretty good care of it. my suggestion for you would be to just get a crystal clear protector that way you wont even be able to tell that anything is on the screen. hope that helps!

4. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

its for peace of mind.

i'll tell the story again... my friend dropped his non screen protected iPhone down a flight of concrete stairs and it got a chipped and lots of fine scratches on the glass. A screen protector would not have stopped the chip in the glass but maybe the fine scratches. He had an Incase Slider on and it protected the bezel/back. Unfourtuntately the shock of the fall damaged the internals but he was able to get a new one as it was new.

He is now so paranoid about dropping his beloved 16GB black iPhone 3G he bought and returned the most heavy duty cases available. He settled on the Otterbox Defender w/a Power Support anti-glare on top of that, i'd say he won't really have to worry as much with damage/scratches/etc... now.

5. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

i would say the 3g needs a screen protector less than the original ( its cheaper to replace just the glass on the newer phones)

that being said, a screen this size and beauty, i really feel you need a screen protector to preserve it