Screen Protector necessary?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wadawow, Jul 27, 2011.

1. wadawow macrumors member

Do I really need one? I'm coming from a Samsung Fascinate w/ so called gorilla glass and never used one, threw it in my purse... never a ding. I have a Griffen Reveal frame/bumper on it but wondering if a screen protector is necessary?

If so, which one is most like the real feel of the iPhone screen? I went through pretty much every one available for my Samsung and was never satisfied (which is why I went naked finally).

TIA

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I've owned all 4 iPhones, both iPads, the newest iPod touch and all 6 iPod nanos and I have never bothered with screen protectors (or a case), and none of them have a single scratch on them.

So my response is No, they are not necessary.

3. apmorency macrumors regular

Powersupport crystal film. Get it on right with no dust under it and you'll never know you have one on.

My kids don't use protectors on their 3gs's and it shows. The iphones do scratch. I have an old htc touch that's never had one on it and there isn't a mark on it. The

4. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

It's preference. Not necessary, but people have their own reasons for using screen protectors.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Definitely not necessary for everyone. Before I started using a screen protector, I never had a single scratch on any of my iPhone screens (1st gen, 3GS, 4).

However, I now use a screen protector because I seem to have this ability to rub off the oleophobic coating that Apple has used on their iPhone screens since the 3GS. It causes a big oval shaped smudgy looking area in the area I use the most. For me, it has happened after 4-6 weeks of use.

For this issue, I'd say see what happens without a protector. If the coating comes off, make an appointment at the Apple Store to swap your iPhone for a new one, and then put the screen protector on the new one. Obviously, being able to rub the coating off is a rare thing to be able to do, so don't start thinking that this is a common thing.

As long as you don't put your iPhone in the same pocket/compartment as keys, coins, or something similar, you should be fine.

6. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

it's not necessary.I put screen protectors because i feel better :D

7. ESPN macrumors regular

Screen protectors are NECESSARY.

Trust me.

Or you can go without one and in a month, scratches will appear.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

8. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Just buy some and put them on. You can get a pack of ten on eBay for 2£ shipped and it will save your front and back from getting scratched up. No matter how careful you are you cannot predict every eventuality that could occur. I use one so the reseal value will be the highest it can be with people most likely to turn down your price with a scratched screen!

9. Surely Guest

Surely

No they won't.

10. Govern1 macrumors newbie

OP I've been using the iPhone with a bumper and no screen protector for a while now, and have no scratches. I've had the phone since launch day without any protection for as long as 6 months, and not a single scratch as well. While I'm sure you will get some scratches on the back, as long as you care for the device, it should be fine. No screen protector matches the feel of the glass IMO, therefore don't waste money on them and use the phone as apple intended.

11. Govern1 macrumors newbie

Lol this is the only reason I put them on some times. Still, always go back to the naked screen :)

12. Govern1 macrumors newbie

Arguably the best protector on the market. As close to the glass as you can get, but you still see accumulation of dust around the home button opening and it cannot match the brilliance of the screen IMO.

13. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Never had one on my IP4 and i've had it since release, no scratches what so ever.

14. steven5210 macrumors member

I agree with you, I've had this phone since launch and just stuck with the bumper case and have no scratches at all on my phone. My friend who got a Incase case has terrible scratches on the back on his phone. The only downside now that I've notice recently is that fingerprints seem more evident as it leaves huge smudge marks all over the screen. Other than that, I just like to touch my "touchscreen phone" without something in between it.

15. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I like to use them because it makes me feel better. I've seen some pretty dinged up iPhones so I don't necessarily believe that someone can have a mint iPhone screen after a long period of time unless they surround the damn thing in bubble wrap every time it's on standby. :p

16. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Take it from me, your average user.

I take care of my iPhone 4, I dont put it in a pocket with other things in it. No screen protector, just regular use.. as if it were a wallet.

There are a few scratches, on a scale of 1-10 (1 being one scratch, 10 being scratchy, like the back of an old ipod touch scratchy)

Id say around 2-3. The glass does an amazing job at keeping it scratch free. Ive owned my iPhone for about almost a year now.

17. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Well i do look after it very well and i wouldn't lie so believe what you will :p

18. big samm macrumors 65816

Had screen protectors on all my 3 iPhones... On the iPhone 4 I have 2 of them one in the front and one in the back!! I cannot stand the bumper anymore. And if I sell the phone I just take it off and show the brand new screen with 0 scratch on it :)

Sent from my iPad 3G using Tapatalk

19. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

Depends on your use... If you put it on anything that might have dirt on it and it moves(such as a hard plastic part in your car) you are going to be unhappy when scratches show up pretty quickly. Even though the scratches are small its still noticeable if you look. My ip4 stays in a a case and has a screen protector... cant see the screen protector and I have no scratches. This is my second ip4 and the first I didn't keep in anything and do just what I said put plenty of marks on the back... The front stays perfect though but it was always face up.

20. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

My friends HTC fell and the screen cracked and broke and only the screen protector was holding everything in place.

It allowed him to continue using his phone until he got a replacement.

so a screen protector is cool for the unexpected part of life.

21. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I wasn't calling anyone a liar. I'm just saying that I find it very hard to believe that someone can use an iPhone naked and still maintain an immaculate screen throughout normal use. Anyone I've ever seen that has had an iPhone for a few months and used it naked has scratches and dings that are very noticeable.

22. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Not arguably; it IS the best. Though I've stopped using screen protectors personally. It's really just a phone.

23. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I don't use one and I don't have any scratches on my screen. I do use a back protector though and I don't really mind it since I don't see the back that often and you're not using the back like you're using the front.

24. wadawow thread starter macrumors member

ok so

I decided to get a cheap one from amazon since I'm going to the beach and worried about sand (totally ruined my blackberry w/ what must have been one grain of sand 3 years ago lol) I ordered this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040I5CME

I have amazon prime so it was here today... I am totally shocked at how awesome this screen protector is. I was planning on just using it when I went on vacation but may actually leave it on. One try and it's perfect!! front and back. And I still have 2 spare backs and 2 spare fronts!!!

Anyway, I may change my mind and go "naked" again but I'm pleased w/ these cheapies for now :)