Screen protector necessary?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by drb1992, Oct 6, 2011.

1. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

I have heard that the iPhone 4's (and 4S) screen is extremely scratch resistant, so does this mean that a screen protector isn't necessary? I really don't want to get a case for the 4S. Why would I want to cover up such a beautiful phone? I do know that if I drop it the phone could get scratched or the glass could crack, but I haven't really had a problem with dropping my phones in the past (and I will be especially careful with this one). I just want to know from your personal experience if a screen protector is necessary. Preferably someone who puts their iPhone in their pocket.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use one, just for the fact that in my prior iPhone, the olephobic coating wore off, which makes it look even worse. So I use a screen protector to protect the screen and coating.

3. StoneSoup macrumors member

yeah, you should use one. my iPad 2 was supposed to be extremely scratch resistant, and lo and behold, a scratch. Couldn't be anything more annoying than a scratch on a 700 dollar device.

4. karleaglemac macrumors regular

karleaglemac

I don't use one. Enjoy your phone the way it was designed to be used. Take care of it though :)

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Since day one I've been throwing my iPhone 4 in my pocket without a screen protector and usually without a case. My screen is still perfect. I try to not put it in the pocket with my keys, but I sometimes forget. Even my keys haven't damaged the screen. I don't baby my phone and it's held up great.

6. F1Turbo macrumors newbie

Never used on my 3G, and haven't used one on my 4. No problems with either one.

I think the screen protectors go back to the day of the Palm Treos and such, with screen that were easily scratched. Not the case with the iPhones, and many people I've noticed with them appear UGLY with a "bubble tint" (yes, 8-bit reference ;-)) type look.

7. drb1992 thread starter macrumors 6502

drb1992

Which iPhone did this happen on? Do you think it was just caused by you using too much pressure on the touch screen?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The 3GS, It wasn't because of too much pressure, but usage. The olephobic coating is just that, a coating that sits on the glass. It can and does wear off. I'm not taking any chances with my iPhone 4 so as soon as I got that, I had ghost armor put on the phone.

9. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I would say yes. My iPhone 3G got a scratch on it back in the day. I don't know how it happened, but it was a very small scratch (about 1 mm). I've been using screen protectors ever since and haven't had a problem. I am very gentle with my phones too.

10. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

The only thing I'll be worried about is the oleophobic coating wearing off, it's horrible when it happens. I've had the oleophobic coating wear off on my then SGS2, and it looked ugly.

11. davidg4781 macrumors 68010

I'm just finally getting in to iPhone (Sprint yay!), and on my way out the door for work, but has anyone tried replacing the oleophobic coating?

Oakley sells, I believe, an oleophobic coating kit for their glasses. I think the kit is something like $15. Can this be used on the iPhone?