Screen protector necessary?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by RustyUK, Aug 5, 2009.

1. RustyUK macrumors newbie

Having read many posts on here- probably too many- and heard different stories about all the screen protectors, I am unsure if I will actually need one.

I think I have settled on the Rebel Serpent as a case for the phone, but Ireading stories about screen protectors peeling up, and issues with fingerprints, and issues with clarity, etc.... has made me think about if a protector is really necessary.

So, is a protector needed? Is the screen of the Iphone resistant to everyday use, and light scratches? Or is a protector the best way forward

Thanks in advance

2. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I've always used a screen protector. You cant see it and to me 15 bucks is worth some peace of mind...

3. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I used one full time on the 3G and had one on the 3Gs. That is until I was listening to a podcast with 4 people say they didn't use one so I gave it a shot. It's much better. Smoother, clearer. I love it.

4. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

I've never used a screen protector, had the iphone since 2007. I think as long as your not just tossing it around you should be good.

5. throwbookatface macrumors member

I kinda toss my around - my laptop or gym bag, several pockets with stuff in it (never coins or keys, but tickets, receipts, etc). My screen protector looks like garbage after a while, but I keep ordering cheap ones off deal sites and ebay, likely Chinese. I don't mind paying an extra dollar or two every few months since I know mine would scratch.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I used to use one religiously but I gave up when I had to have the glass replaced for the second time because of dust underneath it. I figure that so far, in the few months I've had my 3G, that if I've had the glass replaced this often it's just worth it. All I do is keep it in a Sena slim in my pocket.

7. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

there not necessary, but the screen is scratch resistant, not scratch proof

i've used the anti-glare screen protector on all 3 iphones because i like the look, feel of this anti-glare look

8. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

It depends....

If you do as some of the previous posters (and myself), and put your iPhone in your pocket/backpack/gym bag (or purse, if you happen to use those female storage accessories) or any other place where there's keys, coins, etc.....then yes a screen protector is a wise investment.

If you don't, then it's not needed.

However, once you get the first scratch, you'll wish you had used one, after the second, you won't care anymore.

My. $0.01.

9. egk69 macrumors 6502

^ Exactly, is not like the iPhone NEED! the screen shield, but it will protect the screen, dahh! thats what is made for LOL!. When i bought the iPhone I was happy that the screen was actually "glass" cause on my previous phones the screen was plastic (htc tilt & fuze, and basically every other phone I've had) after a couple of months my 3G got a tiny scratch and i decided to put a screen shield, since then i've always used a screen shield

the ones from switch easy are very very good!, easy to apply and barely noticeable...