Screen protector on sapphire Apple watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by Akapplefan, May 1, 2015.

1. Akapplefan macrumors member

Hi all,

I am extremely anal about having my screens on my Apple products pristine. Have always used a screen protector on my iPhones etc. I just bought an Apple watch the stainless steel model with the sapphire screen.

It seems weird though for me to put a screen protector on the Apple watch. Do I need one or will the sapphire screen not scratch at all? I know sapphire is pretty tough but will it show or get even small hairline scratches?

Ak

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

It shouldn't get hairline scratches. I have an Apple Watch Sport but will not put a screen protector on it, even though I have a protector on all my other products. I don't know, something tacky about putting one on a watch.

3. kovey macrumors 6502a

People foolishly have this concept that you can't dare put a screen protector on a watch. Go ahead and do it, even with the sapphire. There are threads where people have already scratched the sapphire surface.

4. simsdaniel macrumors regular

No, definitely not. Do you know someone with a Rolex? Go look at their Watch's front glass plate and odds are it'll look brand new.

Sapphire Crystal is amazingly durable so unless you plan on throwing your Apple Watch from a plane, your display should be flawless.

5. kovey macrumors 6502a

6. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Why is it foolish? You're putting a protector on an accessory that will be displayed on your body for everyone to see. It's understandable to have one on a phone or tablet, cause you're not actually wearing it.

Should I put plastic on my shirt? What about my hat? Maybe I should wrap my neck tie with saran wrap so it can repel all dirt and stains. Or how about I cover my shoes with plastic bags so I can walk in the rain without getting them wet.

Most people haven't considered putting protectors on watches more expensive than the almighty Apple Watch, why start now? Cause you don't want your precious Apple product to have a tiny scratch on it? Is your world going to crumble if it does?

7. rawlus macrumors regular

If I want a pristine screen I don't first cover it with some other CHEAP material. It's like putting clear plastic slip covers on the living room furniture. You're destroying the aesthetic to produce a substandard experience.

$500,000 watches have sapphire crystals and I can guarantee the concept of screen protectors for sapphire crystal watches didn't occur until everyone was all worried about the Apple watch. This is indeed a phobia, an illogical fear manifested by the obsessive compulsive gadget/techie type.

8. trek360 macrumors 6502

I originally ordered the spigen screen protector for a sport but ended up with a SS. I figured I had it anyway and put it on. I feel like it's barely noticeable and helps the screen from getting gunky. Not as concerned with scratches with the sapphire crystal but and added layer of protection esp if you want to assure a pristine screen.

9. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

Which Spigen Screen Protector did you get, the Crystal(no water) or Steinheil Flex(water install)?

10. trek360 macrumors 6502

The crystal (dry install).

11. loyalist macrumors 6502

I'm gonna try it bc it's only $8. If it looks like crap or I can tell it's on there, I will remove it.

I'm doing it bc it's cheap and I will most likely sell this watch when the new one comes out (knowing me). I would like to keep this watch in mint condition for resell purposes.

12. usnek macrumors newbie

I didn't plan on putting a screen protector on my SS... until I brush my watch over a metal chair on the second day I got it. See picture. They are not scratches but more like scuff marks. They go away when I wipe down with cloth, but shows up again when I run my finger over it. I wonder if it is the coating, if there is one. It is semi annoy at this point, but I am still not planning on putting on a screen protector... yet.

Attached Files:

13. parajba macrumors 6502

How many people do you know with a Rolex (or similarly priced watches with sapphire screen) and a plastic screen protector on it? Nonsense.

Sapphire IS going to protect the screen (if indeed is sapphire). Otherwise, why getting sapphire in the first place? For its colour??? *sarcasm on*.